tank upgrade

mvogel2

i am finally going to bite the bullet and upgrade my 30 gallon reef to a 75 gallon set up with a new wet/dry filter. I'm pretty excited, and broke. So my question is how to transfer everything over without having to re-cycle my set up. I was thinking of simply not filling the 75 gallon tank all the way up yet. But add 10 gallons every week? Or just get some extra cycled water from a friend. I'm sure some of you have gone through similar experiences. Thanks for any help.
matt

brianp

I would do that and keep a close eye on the water quality of the water that is taken out of your old tank. I would do this though since you are using water that you are taking out of your old tank I would put also 5 gallons of fresh salt water in with every 10 gallons of old salt water to help balance the water quality. It would be like give your new tank a water change and you know how beneficiary those are. Also if possible run your filter as early as possible. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mvogel2

yes, i have about 25lbs of live rock. I will be buying the arag-alive substrate and /or sand, i think that'll help.
matt

mvogel2

i wouldn't say i was in a hurry, just excited. It would just be more convienent the sooner i could do the transfer. Parents are not too excited about 2 aquariums running in the family room. I really need to move out, then i can go to the 150!
thanks for the suggestions, i'll do the five fresh gallons to every old 10.