Tank used for Reptile

chilwil84

i run a saltwaterfish tank in a tank that i used to house poison dart frogs in for 2-3 years and no problems, but as Z said the heat causing the silicone to fail is an issue and i would test the tank outside. a terarium is a no no for water you can feel how thin the glass is just my knocking on it.

kevin mcrae

I was under the impression the person was using an aquairum. Anyone who buys a 10 gallon "reptile tank" at a pet store for $50 instead of a 10 gallon "fish tank" for $10 is a moron.
They are the same, they both hold water just fine. I've used tanks that have held reptiles for years and now have had fish for years. Both those "critter tanks" are the same as aquariums from what I know. They are just another marketing scheme to make more money. From what I hear anyways..
I'm kinda confused why you guys don't think it will work. The only reason it wouldn't is if the silicon has worn out.
Anyways, like others said a 75 gallon isn't all that much. I say go bigger! :D

metweezer

Originally Posted by Kevin McRae
http:///forum/post/2736303
I was under the impression the person was using an aquairum. Anyone who buys a 10 gallon "reptile tank" at a pet store for $50 instead of a 10 gallon "fish tank" for $10 is a moron.
They are the same, they both hold water just fine. I've used tanks that have held reptiles for years and now have had fish for years. Both those "critter tanks" are the same as aquariums from what I know. They are just another marketing scheme to make more money. From what I hear anyways..
I'm kinda confused why you guys don't think it will work. The only reason it wouldn't is if the silicon has worn out.
Anyways, like others said a 75 gallon isn't all that much. I say go bigger! :D
What part of 'thicker glass' are you having a problem comprehending

reefkprz

A quote from "glass cages.com"
Glass Terrariums
Our terrariums are made for reptiles, snakes, etc.
You can NOT fill them with water as they are not designed to hold water. If you need a tank that holds water then see our Aquariums category.
seeing as you can buy a 70g glass terrarium for $104 dollars you can see why it would be unsafe to hold water the glass is far thinner, thus the enclosure costs less.
another quote from them
Our aquariums are made using thick glass and special silicone meant to hold water. If you are looking for a tank that isn't meant to hold water please see our Terrariums category.

the 70g aquarium is $154 thats a signifigant difference.

chilwil84

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2737207
A quote from "glass cages.com"
Glass Terrariums
Our terrariums are made for reptiles, snakes, etc.
You can NOT fill them with water as they are not designed to hold water. If you need a tank that holds water then see our Aquariums category.

yup used them all the time. they were sold under the name Twin Oaks aquariums. a dollar a gallon, they go to all the big reptile shows.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by chilwil84
http:///forum/post/2737214
yup used them all the time. they were sold under the name Twin Oaks aquariums. a dollar a gallon, they go to all the big reptile shows.
you can get some good deals at reptile expos. i just like going to see the full grown tegus. and to see if any tokay breeders have females.

chilwil84

when someone brings in a big water monitor is always cool too. the last time i saw a tokay i spent 10 minutes trying to get it off my finger, the water trick took a little longer than i felt comfortable with holding an animal under water. i used to breed different boas so i spent some time at the shows.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by chilwil84
http:///forum/post/2737370
when someone brings in a big water monitor is always cool too. the last time i saw a tokay i spent 10 minutes trying to get it off my finger, the water trick took a little longer than i felt comfortable with holding an animal under water. i used to breed different boas so i spent some time at the shows.
didnt any one ever tell you not to pet the tokays?

their bite is definatly worse than there bark. I think it was the first or second time I ever cleaned my tokays cage he latched onto my arm for a good 10 minutes. the best trick I learned was to get him to grab onto the tank wall and poke gently at him from the side with a foreign object (stick, ruler, etc.) that way he lets go and tries to bite that. one day he got out of his cage dont ask me how, but I walked into the room and heard him run up the wall looked up in time to see him run accross the ceiling and down behind my mouse breeding set up 2 hours and after moving every object in the room I managed to "shoo" him back into his tank.

shaunalynna

I agree with the bleaching deal and well cleaning. As long as it's a fish tank and not a terrarium "sp" then you should be fine. Be sure to recaulk as they said though for a secure and knowing safe tank for use. Good luck getting into this addicintg hobby :)