Tank Water Level and Sump Water Level out of whack

neosoulman

I recently bought a used 80 gal bowfront tank with about 30 lb of live rock. I just started so alls i have in there so far are 2 clown fish, a cleaner shrimp and bunch of cleaner crabs.
I am getting a "toilet flushing" sound about every 10 mins or so as the water level in sump gets to the Max Line, and the tank water drops slightly below the intake. I've tried adjusting the long straw-like tube in the intake tube (sorry i dont know the correct lingo for what all this equipment is called) several times which does not seem to totally get rid of the sound. I've added water, taken water out, left it alone etc.
The water level in the sump should stay consistent right? My water level in the sump goes up and down every 10 mins or so, accompanied by this annoying sound. I have taken evaporation into consideration but I want to know if anyone thinks this is a pump/equipment problem or just some adjustments I need to make to find the right balance.

brycewood

If I understand the problem right, it sounds like your pump isn't able to keep your maintank high enough to keep overflow running. Is there kinks in your returns or something?
I'd either reduce the flow of your overflow or increase the flow of your return and see if that helps.

dogstar

Sounds more like the drain pipe that your tank drains thru to go to the sump is the problem. Let us know what brand it is. If there is not enough air to let it drain quick enough it will slowly start siphoning water through the stand pipe down to the bottom of the opening and once the water gets to the bottom and breaks that siphon you get that noise and the tank stops draining until the pump pumps more water into the main tank untill theres enough to start the siphon again.
Does this make any sence? keep trying to let more air get into your drain stand pipe buy playing with the air adjuster if there is one.

jbatjr

I was getting the same issue in my 90 when I first started it as this was the first time I was using a sump. It turned out in the long run that I did not have enough water in my main tank. All I had to do was add a few more gallons on top and in the sump as well and it all stopped now if to much water evaporates I do get the sound then I just add to the main tank again.

neosoulman

Did you have to stop your pumps and protein skimmer before adding water to the top of the tank?
I'll try that, but if I remember correctly the guy who set it up for me said that my water level in the tank will always be the same, its the level in the sump that I add water to.
Im new at this so I'll try anything at this point !

dogstar

You should turn every thing off and let all the water that will drain down to the sump and then fill the sump to near the top. Thats all the water you can have in the system, otherwise the sump will overflow onto the floor if you have more water than that in the system the next time or whenever you have a power failure.

ophiura

Yup, I would try to make sure you have enough water in the system as mentioned.
Like Dogstar said -
Turn the pumps off.
Add water to the tank until the water level in the sump is maybe about an inch from the top of the sump (do this slowly)
Start the pumps.
Mark the water level that this reaches once running. This is your top off level. Do not add water too much over this line when you are topping off since the sump might overflow if the power goes off.

neosoulman

thanks everyone for your posts.
last night i ended up cutting the straw/tube that is inside the intake tube (in my tank), so it wasnt so long. that seemed to have stopped the noise and the water level in my sump is now staying at a consistent level.
yay!

seavolcano

The sound you are hereing is probly your sump pump cavitating from lack of water and air getting into its inlet if you are using a insump tank pump try lowering it down or make sure you have enough water in the sump and enough water supplying your sump pump inlet line.