tboy

maybe you guys can help me on this too
I have some live rocks as well too right
I keep that in a 55g garbage container with 50/50 old and new water
I have a mag 9.5 in there
The water was fine until yesterday and more worst today. THE SMELL IS BAD
will test water in a little bit

renogaw

many times asked, how old is the tank? how did you cycle it? how did you acclimate the fish?
fish do not just die over night. with that many fish in there they probably died from ammonia.

tboy

Originally Posted by renogaw
many times asked, how old is the tank? how did you cycle it? how did you acclimate the fish?
fish do not just die over night. with that many fish in there they probably died from ammonia.
I bought the fish from some one and we keed it in a container with some live rocks, water from his old tank. When i get home i move everythin from a container to 35g which the water fill up 3/4 of the tank. So, therefore i don't think i need to cycle the water or acclimate the fish.
I check the amm. and is 0

tboy

Originally Posted by Tboy
maybe you guys can help me on this too
I have some live rocks as well too right
I keep that in a 55g garbage container with 50/50 old and new water
I have a mag 9.5 in there
The water was fine until yesterday and more worst today. THE SMELL IS BAD
will test water in a little bit

oh man
i don't know what i'm into now
just test the water
no2 4.0ppm
no3 2ppm
should i do a 100% water change or just parcel

kas2247

If I'm reading this right, all of the fish are dead, so now you're worried about the smell coming from the live rock?
How long was the rock out of water when you moved it? There was probably some die-off and now you need to wait for those water levels to go back to 0 before you use that rock. I don't think you need to change the water in with the rock at all, assuming that there are no other living creatures in there.

nrr15

I mix water at .19 in a 30gal container if i am going to use it immediately. I have found that if i mix water at .19 then leave it overnight with a mixer it usually ends up at .21. Thats were i shoot for because of my 5 gals of evaporation every three days i dont like to let my salinity get above .23. I am no super expert but i and my peers have always had great luck with this method.

travis89

It sounds like the tank may have cycled when you added the fish. Did you have any LR from the other tank with the fish?

tboy

Originally Posted by Travis89
It sounds like the tank may have cycled when you added the fish. Did you have any LR from the other tank with the fish?
fish and live rocks and water came from the old tank and was place in a container with powerhead on the way home and was move in 35 on the next day. the only thing different is i add 10g of new fresh mix sw.

tboy

right now the rocks is in the 55g garbage container with a powerhead
no2 4.0ppm
should i wait or do something

ukcats

Originally Posted by Tboy
i don't plan keep them all in their forever, it was only temp. maybe about 2 weeks while i'm getting my tank setup. But that was then. I hate to announce this but they all dead overnight and I don't really think is me. If what ever it is, it should'nt be overnight like that. I think is some kind of crazy disease that kill all the fishes, snails, shrimp, and hermit crabs.

Let me understand this... you think there is a disease that kills all of these completely different kinds of animals? Ok...

exlfs

Well, if all you have left at this point is a trash can full of live rock, then life will get a lot easier....sadly. I don't mean that sarcastically, but fixing your live rock situation is pretty simple.
You should procede with the live rock as if it is band new, non-cured live rock. Curing live rock requires either a lot of equipment and water changing, or a lot of patience. Either way you will end up with decent live rock.
However....I would strongly suggest to you that something is very wrong if you simply moved live rock from a tank that had been set up for a long time to a trash can that has adequate water quality initially, and lots of water movement, and you have nitrate and nitrite and ammonia spikes. REALLY cured live rock should be able to be taken from a tank and placed into good water with adequate movement with almost no trace of nitrate, ammonia or nitrite. A very small spike might occur, but nothing that should be detrimental if the water circulation is adequate and the water you start with is decent. 'Spikes' will mean you did something wrong. Period. Either the rock was out of the water too long, had a coral or other animals which were not removed and are rapidly decaying, or that your 'new' water had some toxin in it.
Other possiblities include putting the live sand from a tank into the same trash container (by the way....this is assuming that you used a trash container that has never...ever....ever....ever had anything in it and was cleaned before you used it so that there are no potential contaiminants) as the live rock. If you happened to have moved the live sand from the bottom of your friend's tank, you WILL likely see a spike in Nitrate, Nitrite and Ammonia. Additionally, and actually MORE TOXIC, will be a spike in sulfa-dioxide (rotten egg smell!!!!) which is extremely toxic to fish and any inverts which process oxygen. This is because when you move large amounts of established live sand from a tank that is 'long' into a container that is instead 'deep,' you end up with a massive (within 24 hours or less) die off of anaerobic and aerobic bacteria which was growing in striated layers in the sand. When you move the sand from a long tank to a deeper situation, the anaerobic bacteria comes into contact with too much O2 and can die off. Alternately, the aerobic bacteria is trapped deep in the sand and dies off almost immediately....subsequently relasing a few hours later massive quantities of sulfa-dioxide which produced that rotten egg or rotting smell. When this occurs you might see a lot of bubbles being released into the tank from the sand or live rock. This is BAD!!! Anything which 'breathes' will die quickly when this occurs! Fish will get red streaks through thier tails similar to hemorrhegic sceptocemia (sp?) as their blood gasses become toxic. They breate harder, introcucing more and more toxic gas into their bloodstreams resulting in death....sigh.
So......long way to say that you might have 'gassed' your fish by subjecting them to sulfa-dioxide inadvertently. This is most assuredly what is occurring with your live rock.
For your live rock....HUGE water change, followed by VERY aggressive water movement and aeration. If there is live sand in that trash container, REMOVE IT and get it into another container with simple power head movement. It will gas itself off in about 3 days and be fine...but be aware that this will happen again if you go from a shallow layer to a deep layer in the tank you transfer that sand into.
Whatever you do, do NOT add chemicals that stop or inhibit the nitrogen cycle to your live rock you are trying to tend to....for example....don't use Amquel becuase, while it might stop ammonia from being absorbed by your fish's gills, it does this by stopping the nitrate cycle and does not allow the ammonia to complete it's natural conversion from ammonia to nitrite, to nitrate. Additionally, these types of products may produce false-positive readings on many water tests, leading you to believe that your water is now safe. So stay away from those and let nature take care of this with good water, water movement, aeration and light.
Sorry you lost your fish! Hope things improve for you....be PATIENT!
God bless.....

tboy

thanks ESLFS
Is so how much of water change do you think i should do.
Man, those sorry fishes that killed. They were from a friend that he love his fish like his own kids. Off course, after he handed over it to me and i killed everything. He even names all his fishes. The two mated pairs nemo, he had them for so long and they even has lay eggs when i pick them up. I can't beleive how healthy they were when i first got them that lead me into so sure that they will be ok and so then I don't pay attention at the water parameter much.
really is me a 100% but I just can't beleive they all dead overnight like that.
I'm sorry Bob if you ever read this thread but I promise you I will replace the same fishes in my upcoming tank.

davidjapw

I was wrongly told to add amquelplus to my tank to reduce a nitrite spike in my tank by a local aquarium owner. I used a few doses before finding out it was not good for the tank, since then I have done water changes. Does anyone know how long it lasts in a tank or how to get rid of it.

davidjapw

Originally Posted by davidjapw
I was wrongly told to add amquelplus to my tank to reduce a nitrite spike in my tank by a local aquarium owner. I used a few doses before finding out it was not good for the tank, since then I have done water changes. Does anyone know how long it lasts in a tank or how to get rid of it.

Just looking for some advice or if someone may know of a remedy for the problem
Thanks

exlfs

Amquel and Novaqua (and similiar 'binding' products) last for quite a while. The main problem is that they will often provide false-positive readings on certain test kits....in addition to not allowing the nitrogen cycle to continue as naturally.
Good news is that it will eventually break down on it's own, releasing the chemical bonds and allowing the cycle to continue. It can last several months however. I'd suggest just forgetting about it and doing regular partial water changes as normal. This will pretty much take care of itself. The only concern would be if you have some need to get an accurate ammonia reading (which is really not necessary once a tank is established).
Hope that helps, and God bless....

petjunkie

Well honestly I would say your fish died of ammonia poisoning, too many fish in way less water volume and no filtration or lack of oxygen, one powerhead isn't going to be enough for all those fish, saltwater absorbs very little oxygen as opposed to freshwater and you need a lot of water movement to make up for it. I would set up whatever you are planning to and cure the live rock in it while taking your time to do a lot of research into saltwater before adding fish again. Take your lfs advice with a grain of salt as you already learned.