Tanks on Carpet

rogueangel

Hey, I just have my 12 gal Eclipse and the stand that comes w/ it. I'm fixing to move into my apartment and I was wanting to put my tank in my bedroom. But its got carpet floors. Anyone have any suggestions on how to stablize the tank area? I can keep throw rugs around when I change water. Any help is well thanked. ---Rogue

volcom69

i have my 55 on the carpet in my living room i have a tarp i thorw down some old sheets and i havent had a problem yet.

maxalmon

You really have to pay attention to whats on the bottom of the stand, a long time ago, I had a tank set up on carpet, when we moved it there was a stain on the carpet from the bottom of the stand, it was a permanent stain and ruined the carpet, seems that small amounts of water caused the stain to leach into the carpet, now what I do is cut up a towel to the exact size of the tank stand base and put that down and then the stand on top of it.

thangbom

Originally Posted by maxalmon
You really have to pay attention to whats on the bottom of the stand, a long time ago, I had a tank set up on carpet, when we moved it there was a stain on the carpet from the bottom of the stand, it was a permanent stain and ruined the carpet, seems that small amounts of water caused the stain to leach into the carpet, now what I do is cut up a towel to the exact size of the tank stand base and put that down and then the stand on top of it.

1 quik q? on that towel thing.. wont that towel absorb and then difuse into the carpet???
anyhow.. was this q? on stablity or on water issue?? cuzz i think it would be better to put the towel under tank and not the tank stand.. not only that but it would seem that the stand w/tank would be top heavy and unstable on carpet.. so you might wanna put somthing heavy in the stand...

maxalmon

I've used this towel thing on maybe 6 tanks over the years, never had a problem since with carpet staining, guess it's just enough to absorb whatever, funny thing is all the towels have either brown stains or dark stains from the stand bottom, but carpet is ok.

rogueangel

yah the question was about tank stability... its only 12gal but I don't want it to fall over just cause someone's rough housing next door