Tan's 5.1G EcoPico Office Reef from Ecoxotic

Hey guys and gals
I am an industrial programmer and I spend a great amount of time in my office creating schematic drawings and programs for industrial controls. Ok I know...boring. So I decided to brighten up the office and incorporate a piece of the reef here. After some research I decided to buy Ecoxotic's EcoPico Reef Tank. It is a whooping 5.1 gallons, sleek and practical for office space. This was by far the easiest aquarium project I have ever tried as you can imagine. I have about 9lbs of rock and fiji pink sand as substrate.
I brought my rock, sand, and freshly made saltwater into work this morning and set up the tank in less than 20 mins. Easy shmeezy.
About the tank:
5.1 gallons
Glass (rimless)
Lighting:
LED 12K White and 453 nm Blue (three LED strips)
*** I am going to add two more strips. Both strips are 453 nm Blue.
To view additional information go here: http://www.ecoxotic.com/catalog/product/view/id/105/s/eco-pico-reef/category/26/
The tank comes with a small pump/filter. It's not much but is ok to start with. I have an extra MP10 at home that I plan to add once I begin to add corals.
The whole setup cost me about $230 (including sand and rock)
The rock has been comepletely dried out and the sand has been rinsed. It's gonna take a while in order to establish a nice biological filter.
I plan on adding some higher end zoo colonies, whisker coral, candycanes, encrusting monti and not sure what else.
As for fish, I am not sure I will add any. Any suggestions? I may add one or two small fish at most.
Here are some pics of the new reef.
Enjoy

sweatervest13

Cool office tank!!
I am working on my boss to let me have a tank at work too. Can't wait to see yours come together. How are you going to handle weekends and vacations??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/391472/tans-5-1g-ecopico-office-reef-from-ecoxotic#post_3471815
Cool office tank!!
I am working on my boss to let me have a tank at work too. Can't wait to see yours come together. How are you going to handle weekends and vacations??
Thanks
Luckly for me, I am a part of a family owned business. Work is only 5 mins from the house. I can access my office any time. Vacations wont be too difficult as my brother is my go to man when I am away. He know's how to take care of my critters for me.
Yeah I am excited. My dad (boss) came into my office earlier and said: "Son, when are you ever gonna grow up??" as he gazed at my aquarium..... I said, "NEVER." lol he laughed

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannersmith200 http:///t/391472/tans-5-1g-ecopico-office-reef-from-ecoxotic#post_3471820
Thanks
Luckly for me, I am a part of a family owned business. Work is only 5 mins from the house. I can access my office any time. Vacations wont be too difficult as my brother is my go to man when I am away. He know's how to take care of my critters for me.
Yeah I am excited. My dad (boss) came into my office earlier and said: "Son, when are you ever gonna grow up??" as he gazed at my aquarium..... I said, "NEVER." lol he laughed
Good answer, because when you grow up you have to leave Neverland.

sagxman

A red headed goby would be a nice addition in that size tank. I love mine.
By the way, does anyone find it disturbing that in the video on the manufacturers website they have a mandarin goby in this 5 gallon tank?

sagxman

Is yours posted on this forum? I would love to see some pics of your tank SaGxMAN
I haven't posted the red head yet. I'll see if I can get you a pic tonight.

sagxman

Nice clowns! Can i have em?
I'll get right on that. Hehe. If they ever lay eggs I might start a breeding system. It's so much work though.

sagxman

Nice tank bro. How long has it been up and running? Looks a little bare. Perhaps some more corals can brighten things up.

It's a work in progress. I've technically had it up for years but I let it sit dormant for the last year or two. Just started getting it back in shape in March. I'll add new coral every couple of weeks so I don't break the bank.

So I thought I would add a couple pics of the tank without the filter that came with it. I also added an EcoTech MP10 pump for circulation. I really like this better. I will be performing 30-40% weekly water changes so I do not imagine I will incorporate any filtration device.
I also added two 453 nm Blue LED strips which adds a slightly bluer color to the tank. I know have a total of 5 LED strips (3 of them being a mixture of 12K White and 453 nm Blue)
I am really happy with the light output now and hopefully my corals will feel the same way :)
Whatever fish I add in the future will be very small and will contribute very little waste. I plan on adding corals first.

sagxman

What type of lighting are you using???
I use the Marineland reef capable LED unit. The one I have is not currently available in stores. It has built in timers. It has great output for softies and medium light LPS IMO. I'm actually thinking of adding one more of the same unit. I think I'll have some killer light with 2.