Tap Water Condtioner

mandarin w

Well If she is so cost worthy, then explain how it would be a major waste of the money put into the system already, not to do it up right at this point.

kainex

you can see my 55g ro/di in my basment that is plumed to my 70g fuge/wet/dry that id plumbed to my 125 display...both my 55 holding and my sump are tied into my ro/di with the auto top-off's from water general as well.
I never add water to may tank, and I never need to fill my holding tank. Just add salt ad go. My holding tank pump runs 24/7 and I never use more then 1/2 for my main tank
BTW I can do my 25g water changes in under 15 min every sunday with only adding salt to my holding tank on monday or tuesday.

mandarin w

I do my 50 gallon water change in under 15minutes also. I just add my salt on Wensday, let it do its thing, Check all my levels Friday and make any adjustments I need. Then Saturday I put my rio 7 in the tank the pump out the water I need out, and then place the rio7 in the brut and pump it in. In reality that rio will empty one the 32 gallon bruts in about 2 minutes if that long. It take my longer to put the equipment away that the waterchange part.

kainex

Yah, the waterchange part is nothing. it was the set-up and clean-up that made me rethink my waterchanges....now I can be do my waterchange while I make coffie on sunday morning and be cleaned up and reading the paper before its even done

mandarin w

We come up with all sorts of ways to get out of doing waterchanges, and still get them done.

This hobby make you a smarter person while depleating your bank acount.

f14peter

Originally Posted by mandarin w
You say the springwater is the cheaper option, but do the math, Even using your numbers. 20 gallons at 69 cents is what $12 or $13 dollors and week, if you do your weekly waterchanges. in a month that is $48 dollars or even more. Then add in water for you top offs. and it will be even a little higher. In two months you could have bought the unit, and had much better water for your tank, Not to mention "Spring water" is not Reverse Osmosis water.

Agree whole heartedly . . . I've probably run 200 gallons (At least, probably a lot more) through my RO/DI since I got it about three months ago (Filling tank, water changes, maintaining a bucket of extra LR, dealing with a QT) . . . 70 cents/gallon store-bought darn near puts the thing paid for. And that's not including the time, hassle and expense of going to get water from a store.
Also, having the water in-house is a tremendous asset . . . think about it, how many very needed water changes, top-offs, etc have gone undone because there was no water in the house and it was just too inconvenient to run out and get some. The "I'll get it tomorrow" unfortunately tends to turn to "Darn, forgot today, I'll get it tomorrow" several times over.
Now in essence, an in-home RO/DI unit isn't mandatory . . . but geez it sure is an added convenience that really makes atremendous difference. Anything that makes maintaining the tank easier (And therefore more likely to happen correctly) has to be good. Like not having test-kits and having the LFS run your water . . . gotta grab some water, run off to the store, wait for them to do the test, then go home and deal with anything the tests reveal.

billyg

KAINEX THIS IS THEE SYSTEM THAT CAME TO ME IN A DREAM
I WAS THINKING ABOUT HAVING THE R/O SET UP RIGHT NEXT TO THE TANK & HAVE A 30 -40 GAL UNDER THE MAIN TANK TO USE LIKE YOU GOT SET UP & DUMP INTO MY SUMP & PUMPED UP INTO THE MAIN.NOW THAT I SAW YOUR PIX TO GET AN IDEA WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE I MADE SOME PHONE CALLS TO MY FRIEND WHO OWNS THE LOCAL MOM & POP SWF STORE & WHO SET MY TANK UP & AWAY WE GO!!. HE DID TELL ME ABOUT THE OTHER COSTS TO FIGURE IN LIKE RESIN, REPLACEMENT CARTIDGES, WATER BILL GOING UP.IM GOING TO USE A R/O/DI SYSTEM WHAT THE HELL GO FOR THE BEST RIGHT? THANK GOD MY OTHER HALF OF MY BASEMENT IS UNFINISHED SO I COULD RUN MY LINES ALL OVER TO THE WETBAR AREA THATS NOT USED AT ALL
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE AGAIN FOR ALL THE GREAT REPLYS & FOR THE GENLEMAN WHO WROTE TO CALL A WATER CO. LIKE CULLENGIN,WELL I DID ITS EITHER YOU BUY IT FOR $400.00 OR RENT IT FOR $30.00 A MONTH WITH A SERVICE CONTRACT. SO IM JUST GOING TO BUY MY OWN SYSTEM & HAVE IT PLUMBED IN BY MY GOOD FRIEND TIM THEE OWNER & MASTER PLUMBER.

f14peter

Originally Posted by BILLYG
THANK GOD MY OTHER HALF OF MY BASEMENT IS UNFINISHED SO I COULD RUN MY LINES ALL OVER TO THE WETBAR AREA THATS NOT USED AT ALL
Let me get this right . . . you have an in-house wetbar and you don't even use it?!?!?!?!?! Sheeeeeez, what's the world coming to?
Good luck on your system, sounds like you really want to go whole-hog on it. Top-offs aren't too much of a pain, but sometimes I do wish there was an easier way.

billyg

HELLO F14 PWTER JUST TO INFORM YOU I DO NOT DRINK!! MAN MADE BOOZE GOD MADE REEFER WHO DO YOU TRUST? I CAME FROM A NON DRINKING FAMILY,I SMOKE CIGA
RETTES, DRINK SNAPPLE ICE TEA & WATCH ADULT ENTERTINMENT,IM SURE GONNA GO TO HELL LIKE THIS. LETS PUT IT THIS WAY NO ONE WOULD HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT ME WHILE ON THE ROAD,RIGHT??

f14peter

Originally Posted by BILLYG
LETS PUT IT THIS WAY NO ONE WOULD HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT ME WHILE ON THE ROAD,RIGHT??
Except, I imagine, when your LFS calls and says they're having a half-off sale on all fishes . . .
Have a good weekend!