Tap water filter A.Q. Pharm

This purifier says that it filters out heavy metal such as copper. Is it true and can anyone sand behind this product. Thanks.

I personally still have one of these (in the storage building.lol). I can't recomend this for a saltwater setup. It doesen't filter out alot of the impurities that you don't want, AT ALL!. It is OK for freshwater, but with my experiences I would have to say, If it's all you've got use it, it's better than nothing. But I would recommend either purchasing a RODI unit, (their getting cheaper by the minute)or purchasing RO water from you're LFS or a friend. It's the safest bet. Sorry. :)

kalvoda

well i guess i would have to disagree..I just got one..Our water here is very alkaline (about 9.0) and it easily brought it down to 7.0 we dont have much problem with metals or anything in the water besides Chlorine..I like mine..so far no probs

blackdog

I can't vouch for whether it is appropriate for a SW tank, because I just started mine. However, I used the Aquarium Pharm purifier on the first 50 gallons I've put into the tank. It is clearly pulling out stuff, because there's a rust-colored sediment on the top, and the material changes from dark green to dark purple from top to bottom as it gets used up. Mine is pretty much shot after 50 gallons. Replacement cartridges are $20, which is half the price of the unit new.
I ran a copper test on my tap water, then on the water after it came out the purifier. The Red Sea test kit I used is hard to tell between 0.0 and 0.1 ppm on the tap water, but the water after the filter was definitely 0.
I decided not to lug home 50 jugs of store-bought RO water at $.58 each to start the tank, but now I'm considering going that route for top-offs and changes.

Black Dog, why wouldn't you use it for just the top offs then. I'm from Stoughton, MA. What lfs do you buy your fish and supplies from. Thanks for your post.

blackdog

Well, it's kind of a pain to get out the purifier and run it for half an hour, then lug the bucket over to the tank. For daily top-off, it might be easier just to have a stock of gallon jugs in the cabinet. I don't know, I'm still working on a daily system that doesn't leave fish paraphenalia strewn all over the house.
Matt, I've tried a couple independent stores in the area, and I've been unhappy with them. So I'm going to the ***** in Peabody. The fish manager there has been the best combination of friendly, knowledgeable, and relatively inexpensive.
Dave
p.s. When I mentioned running the filter for half an hour, that's to get 5 gallons.

I have to honestly say that the purifier in question is CRAP!! not to sound like a d@#% or anything, but it is!! a freind of mine HAD one, and he hated it. he would have to change the cartrige every 40 gallons or so. THAT'S GAY!! at 20 bucks a pop for a new cartidge, you can save that up and just buy a RO unit that will last much longer and give way better results.

Thanks for the reply. The cost of the replacement filter is way to high. I think I should look into an ro unit.
Dave, check out Tropical Isle in Framingham off of route 9 heading west. It maybe a long haul for a fish purchase, but it will be worth a visit. I'll look into the Peabody Pecto sometime. The one near here isn't very good. Thanks again. Matt

justinl

I like mine. It works very well and my cartridges make roughly 60-70 gallons of water (it all depends on how bad your water is to begin with).
you can buy the filters online for a lot less than retail. I filled up a tank with one and just got some extention tubing to reach from my bathroom sink to my tank.
If I'm not mistaken RO units also require replacement
filters and they waste a lot of water.
But I really like my DI from AP. :D

blackdog

Matt, the SW expert's name at ***** is Mordechai (they call him Mordy), and he's there weekdays and sometimes Sundays. They get fish in every Wed AM, so I'm hoping I can specify something and pick it up before it ever gets into their tanks. He said they do use copper in their tanks.
Thanks for the tip on Tropical Isle. I'll check them out.

goco

If you really want to produce the best, purest water go ahead and get a R.O. unit. You will save many dollars and have consistant results. If you must have a DI filter run it after the RO filter, it will last about a hundred times longer.