tap water purifier

iamjoshieg

Is a RO/DI unit really necessary, or will a unit like this be sufficient for a reef tank?
Out of respect to SWF please do not post links.

reefpro

I dont think we're supposed to post links but an RO/DI is really necessary unless you want to buy your water.
I wouldnt suggest that unit though... If I were you I'd look at something made by SpectraPure. I've got one of their units and it's really great!

michaeltx

for what you pay for those types of filters its best to just add a little to the pot and get a good RO/DI unit and be secure in what you use on your tank.
Mike

chinpokomon

Making water is generally much cheaper than buying it. My RO unit was about $150 and I get about 3000 gallons per $75 filter membrane but your mileage will vary depending on your water pressure and quality. My first 3000 gallons ran about $.05 a gallon. Every 3000-gallon filter change after that runs about $100 ($75 membrane, $10 prefilter and $10 carbon) a little over $.03 a gallon and no more trips to tote water. It is hard to beat the price and convenience.

aztec reef

I would recomend an ro/di unit as well, you don't have to get an expensive one. It just has to be 4 stage ro/di unit(any brand would work) But if your looking for the best i wouldn't look farther then spectrapure..

uberlink

That unit works completely fine. It is a DI only unit, meaning that it takes everything out of the water exactly as an RO/DI unit would. The downside is that the DI is usually used only for the final stage fine filtering. As a result of having no RO element, that unit's filters wear out incredibly quickly. You only get 50-100 gallons out of a $15-20 filter. Not horrible for top offs only, but not great. You'd be better off with an RO/DI unit, which can be had in a lot of places for 100-150 bucks.

joe 09

i have a ge whole hse water filter connected to the kitchen spray. i put the carbon cartridge in it.it takes out the chlorine and rates.i did not want a large garbage can in the kitchen to store water in.the ro/di units also waste more water then it makes.i have been using it for 2 yrs.and it works great.the whole set up cost about 50$ and the cartridge last about 6 mos.

reefpro

Originally Posted by uberlink
That unit works completely fine.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.
Regardless I think he's gotten his answer and I hope he made an informed purchase.

uberlink

The unit he is describing is not a charcoal unit, if it's the one I'm thinking of. It is a deionizing unit, and they do work fine--even on a TDS meter. But only for a fairly short period of time, like 50 gallons. But, as I said, he'd be much better off in the longer run with an RO/DI unit.