Tap Water Purifiers??

Hi,
Is the tap water purifier helpful? I saw this at a LFS.. Pet**0. on sale for 36.99.. Somehow, I think maybe Its not gonna work so well...........What will this do? Help At all??
THOUGHTS please?
I will invest in a Ro when I save more $$......
Please can anyone explaine the RO/RI ????
This confuses me......
Thanking you kindly, Kim

ocellaris_keeper

ALL STOP - those things are useless - They work only if you are in an area where your tap water is pretty filtered already - I didn't even get 5 gal out of the one I bought before it quit!!!
Buy RO water form Safeway until you can buy an RO/DI filter

phil1964

I just hooked up my RO/DI today.
I thought about the filter you are talking about but was told the same thing. Got the water going and after 1 small leak was fixed got water FINALY going into the tank. Very easy hookup. If I can do it you can! It was only $150

bigfishy

I used a tap water purifier for my tank and it worked great. The initial cost was about 50 bucks to fill up the tank but after that Its not bad for top offs and water changes. I get 40 to 50 gallons out of each filter so thats about 50 cents a gallon at 20 bucks a filter. You can get the filters a little cheaper online though.

stranglehold

Do the Cartriges and membranes in the RO/DI units neet to be replaced based on time AND/OR gallons?
For example,
If I get a RO/DI and just use it 20 gal/month, will I get the same gallons out of a set of filters as I would if I used 300 gal/month?