Tap water vs ro

fishkiller

(sniff sniff)--- Did someone just get burned? OUCH!!:D
I agree that the water is different from county to county, actually house to house. Building standards change ALL the time, and that includes standards for water pipes, heaters, etc. So c'mon, let's try just once not to generalize. That gets us nowhere. Just taste the water in colorado, then taste the water in miami. Yes, HUGE difference. Think about it....bub.

mattk

Back to the first post. Dude you list your occupation as a surgeon-what's up with not being able to afford a 100.00 RO unit?

overanalyzer

Originally posted by Mattk
Back to the first post. Dude you list your occupation as a surgeon-what's up with not being able to afford a 100.00 RO unit?

Hey a lot of those docotr types end up with hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loans!!!

mattk

I think most would agree that source water is the one area to not cut corners on. ALl the of the extra gadgets that people buy for their tanks are useless without proper initial water quality. Given that RO units can be had for less than 100.00 which would be sufficient for a 55g I think that is where anyone interested in setting up a reef should start.
Matt

derrickt

Initially, an RO unit would be expensive but considering that you are using one of those countertop filters, you might as well invest in an RO unit. I've seen some 3-stage sell for around 139 when they are on sale. Those countertop filters add up significantly. For the cost and uses, an RO unit is well worth the money.
Secondly, tap water may be fine when you test it now, but there is a possibility that the city may add something in unexpected. I've used both tap and RO water and I can say that there is a difference between them in terms of algae growth but it is little and nothing that some snails can clean up in a day.
Secondly, I have a long tank and the tap water gives a slight greenish tint to it as compare to RO water.
I should note that my city's water parameters may differ from yours and I am not running any mechanical filtrations except for some foam paddings in my overflow. The bottom line is that we've already spent several hundred dollars and sometimes thousands on our tanks so why not spend 150 dollars more on the most important aspect of reefkeeping? Besides, it taste alot better than those Brita filter.
Hope that helps.

overanalyzer

I think that everyone @ one time or another is forced into using some tap water - unless they plan in advance. If you are just setting up your 55 now shippy then I'd say be patient and do the planning!! get an RO or RO/DI Unit - After a tank and the lights i consider it the next most important piece of equipment .....

madd catt

Heavy metals can desolve the exoskeleton of invertabrates and any heavy metal that would be absorbed or in some case adsorbed is not instant and that metal will still be circulating in the tank being absorbed by fish,plants,rock and invertabrates.
Cloromine is a bonding of ammonia and clorine together and much harder to get out of the water and the gases need too be seperated first than iradicated.there is also the possiabilty that some other poisen will be added later to our water supply which they will not tell us about and if they did would say it is harmless like they did with cloromine which is three times worse than clorine.
Also some water contains a high mineral content to begine with and may make some synthectic salts much harder too desolve making the snow effect in the tank. using ro di or a water distiller will or should take out those heavy metals including parasites and bacteria that tap water has in it.

robofish

RO is a must for Reef systems. You cannot count on you local water source to provide you with water any better than the least they can get away with.
You can get an awsome RO system on ---- for 100.00. Installation will take about 30 minutes.. Lay low on the purchase of 2 corals and invest it in the RO.
Its not bad to have even for Coffee, tea and so on, so there is more use for these than just the tank.
I could not imagine anyone using tap water for their reef system. Thats like putting regular unleaded gas into a Porsche, it may work but why chance it.. Use the Super... (RO.)

madd catt

Yeah the coffee or tea thing is true because there is no longer {?} minerals in the filtered water making it easier to absorb the tea leaves and infact may make it more bitter because of the oils from the plant is being extracted better

luvmyfish

Okay, I am sold! So, my LFS sells the RO/DI water at a much higher rate than I have been reading herein. Walmart has this RO/DI water? Is this the Culligan Water stand in the food section? Or is this somewhere else? I read in my, "The Marine Aquarium Problem Solver" by Nick Dakin, book about this RO/DI set up and it sounds pretty complicated to me, so I would rather run to Walmart and get it. The book says you have to process this water for 24 hours prior to it's use, and it uses 1 part to every 5 it discharges, that seems like alot of extra water to me. So I vote for the Walmart deal.
Can someone please tell me if this is the Culligan Water setup by the food isle in the Super Walmarts? If it is not, can you better direct me where to find it, please? Thanks so much!
I love this hobby - it is so addicting, and I want all my fish to remain healthy and happy!
Thanks so much for all of your contributions to these message boards, I have learned so much from all of you.
:)

derrickt

Yankee schankee. Here in the west coast where luxury tax is never an issue, the real teams are Giants and A's.

the claw

I'm thinking the Mariners are going to whoop all their butts....
Dude, if you are a surgeon, you should have access to all of the reagent grade distilled water you can carry from your local hospital. Sweet talk your local lab personel.
Beelzubub- I'm impressed that you stick by your guns, and more impressed that you took the challenge, but the results you produced were ...pitiful.

jarvis

But the mystery still remains. What happend to these fellas?15 hermits, 5 turbo snales, bahama star, green brittle star.:p

joker

ok i am new to this hobby, but I have already had my experience with tap water. I am on a well and still got copper in my tank..... from the fixture???!!! All I know was it was about at .08 mg/L. Cuprisorb has eliminated it almost to undetectable levels.
If I knew then what I know now!!!
Buy the RO unit and have your water checked!!
good luck and ejoy the hours spent staring at the rocks!!:D

overanalyzer

Originally posted by DerrickT
Yankee schankee. Here in the west coast where luxury tax is never an issue, the real teams are Giants and A's.

Uhm poor shippy has had his thread hijacked at least twice now - so I won't say anythign other than - Lima Time - Believe it!!