Tap water vs ro

schippy

Well I appreciate all the info. Yes I am a surgeon, but yes I am also in dept up to my eye balls. I am convinced on the ro water and actually found some nice units on ---- for about 75 bucks. I appreciate all the info and go yankees!!!

krowleey

i just bought a 6 stage myself on ---- ro/di with the tds monitor 75gallon a day for 170 shipped to my door. cant wait to get it. i dont think my water quality is that bad, the big lfs here used tap water and you should see thier tanks just coraline alge growing, i live in arcata too btw home of CPR and the gen manager shops that lfs himself, they say the water is good because its from the bottom of the mad river. But i still want the ro/di i shouyld have 0 tds now!!!!!!

nm reef

Having watched the evolution of this post...primarily to insure nobody lynched our good friend that advocates the safe use of tap water...I feel I have every right to say....
The heck with 'em all.....go Cards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

fishman830

if i were to get a huge pot, full of water with some contraption over it, so that when it boils it goes through this contraption, into a container, and theni could let this water cool and put it in my tank, would this be better say then a ro?

overanalyzer

Originally posted by Fishman830
if i were to get a huge pot, full of water with some contraption over it, so that when it boils it goes through this contraption, into a container, and theni could let this water cool and put it in my tank, would this be better say then a ro?

It would be steam distilled - which would be better than tap and not as high a quality as RO. You can get an RO only unit for around $50 @ a hardware store. the 5 stage RO/DI unit is around $125 or so on line .....

madd catt

Well,you have too have whats called dry steam it can not be wet steam. the evaporation process needs a certain distance from when the water evaporates {too filter properly} then becomes cooled to produce water droplets too be collected in a {before you collect the water it goes through the second filter process of activated carbon} chamber or water bottle.
Secondly if you do distill your own water you need a container to boil the water in so when it evaporate to a dry steam there should be a second chamber on top to put ice {or fan cooled} in, which will cool the steam into water droplets which than will go through the activated carbon to filter it more.
However there also needs to be a collecting chamber between the bottom that heats the water and the top that cools the water so the droplets dont drip back to the bottom and instead they go into the activated carbon filter than to a collection cup.