Tapwater To Ro Water Change

nu2salt

I Have A Quick ?. I Have A 75dt And I Have Been Using Tap Water With Prime. The Water Here Is Not Really All That Bad. Everything In My Tank Is Doing Well But I Don't Have Alot Of Growth And I Think If I Switch Over To Ro Things Will Be Alot Better..
How Much Of The Water Can I Switch Out Safely At A Single Time?
If I Switch Out Say 50% Will This Cause A Mini Cycle?
I'm Gonna Attempt This This Weekend And Also Will Be Cleaning Out The Fuge Ihave Not Been Keeping Up With The Tank Cleaning The Way I Should Work Is Killing Me.
Thanks For All Your Help.

azfishgal

IMO I would not do more than 20% at a time. If your tank has been running fine with tap water then there is no rush to get it all out. Though I would have never started with tap water in the first place. Of course here in Phoenix the water is TERRIBLE. So just start using the RO water for your water changes and eventually you will be 100% RO.

rocksalt

I too would recommend doing no more than a 25-25% change at a time. You don't want to stress your marine life.
I cycled water in my 90Gal reef 20% at a time until I am now using only 100% RO water. I dropped the $$$ and after a few hours of busted knuckles and volumes of swear words I successfully installed an RO system under my sink.
My levels have remained constant since. Personally I feel tap water has heavy elements and other organics which additives cannot 100% remove. I think using RO water purchased or self made is the best way to ensure a clean foundation for your environment.