TDS of 190 causing high nitrates?

sugarfox03

Yeah, ya'll read that correctly. Someone here recommended that I buy a TDS meter. I did. I checked the TDS of my so-called "RO" water from the LFS. It came out to 190! My tap water is 180! Now that I think I have pinpointed my problem (after all the fricken time & money spent trying to correct it) what do I need to do, other than invest in a RO/DI system, which is my next purchase after I pay my truck payment next week (meaning I will get it in 3 weeks with the next paycheck.) I already plan on sticking with grocery store bought Distilled water, I checked that and it was only 2 or 3, I know its supposed to be 0, but 3 is definately better than 190 that I was putting in. Should I do another big water change? I plan on doing atleast 5 gals tomorrow as my weekly maintenence, but should I do more? They use "purified seawater" not pre-mixed salt, is this ok? Or do I need to find yet another LFS? Thanks in advance for any info/suggestions. And thanks again to the person who recommended the TDS meter!!

qreef

Hi,
IMO.......To make sure your TDS meter is in calibration you need to buy Distilled water and use your TDS meter to see if you get a good reading( under 010). But I think you could have a outta wack calibrating TDS meter

chunkysoup

anything is better than 190... mine out of the sink is 60 here. But as far as the relatinship between TDS and nitrate I'm really not sure. I think TDS is more of a reflection of water impurities/trace metals etc.... I don't see how those elements would fit into the nitrogenous waste cycle.

sugarfox03

Hmmm....the person that mentioned that I buy the TDS meter said that he/she was having the same problem with high nitrates, found out it was the "RO"water he/she was buying, bought an RO/DI system, and the problem went away. And I did test the TDS meter against a bottle of Distilled water, which is how I got the result of 003 from the grocery store brand, as mentioned.
I will just assume this is the problem for now, as nothing else makes sense. I do all the correct husbandry practices, and the past 6 weeks or so now, I have been battling high nitrates...which, coincidentally (and I didnt even think about it before) is about when I started using another LFS for water, both salt & ro.