Teach me about clams

sagxman

So, I want to buy a clam. At this point I know nothing about them. That's what this message board is for after all isn't it?
Please teach me what I need to know about succesfully keeping a clam. Here are my details.
Tank has been running well for 3 years.
20L
Water quality is very good, all levels normal.
1.025 SG
Just recieved my 150w 14K MH lighting (was running PC's so did not want a clam before upgrading)
What type of clams are good for my size tank? What and how often do they need to be fed? Where should I place it? On a rock on the sandbed? I saw the term "dripping" somewhere, what does that mean? What are their likes and dislikes as far as levels go?
I'm really looking for any and all nuances of keeping a clam. I litterally know next to nothing about them. All help and comments are appreciated.

fedukeford

im not sure what clam would be best for you, they need MH lighting so you should be fine, if i remember correctly if they are over 4 inches they do not need to be feed, lighting will be enough, and they almost excellent water quality

sagxman

So far so good, please keep the information coming. I've learned to never pull the trigger before getting all the proper details.
Does anyone have a pic of a T. derasa clam?

washowi

I have 10 clams in my 90 gallon. Where to begin. First off the Derasa or the Sqamosa is the best for low level lights. Croceas need butt loads of light so do Giga's and Maxima's.
You may have enough light now to keep them but keep them up high on the rocks. Get them a nice flat spot to attach to. I trick to keep the clams thinking they attached but aren't is put an oyster shell or something under it and let it attach to that. Then you can move them around if needed.
Watch for Pyramidal snails (check spelling). bad for them but inspect the clam before buying. Make sure it's not gapping at the intake. Make sure it moves and closes if you wave your hand over it. If it doesn't - don't buy it.
They are great nitrate users and help lower the levels in the tank. I can go on and on.
Heck I even went to my local supermarket and bought a dozen Little Neck Clams for 69 cents. Half died but i still have half in my tank for over 1 year now. So I guess I have 16 clams in the tank....
What do you want?

sagxman

Originally Posted by washowi
What do you want?
I want something I won't kill, LOL.
Being serious though, I would like something that is colorful, not going to cost me $250, and something that has a good success rate. Over the few years I've had a tank, I've found there are things that LFS's sell that really should not be in anyone's tank.
I've just made my lighting upgrade and after I get my current inhabitants acclimated to the higher intensity, I want to really get my reef going.
So, from the responses I've had, it seems that the most important things for me will be size (tank is only 20g), water quality (that's a given), and other than that, they are fairly maintanance free.

misfit

Originally Posted by SaGxMAN
So, from the responses I've had, it seems that the most important things for me will be size (tank is only 20g), water quality (that's a given), and other than that, they are fairly maintanance free.
You got it, that about sums it up.Good luck.They are a great thing of beauty

hedonic

Some of those derasa's are gorgeous, we have had a few in that are zebra patterened, that are every bit as bold as a crocea. In a 20L though the amount of supplments (phyto or zooplankton) you will need to add to keep them thriving might pollute water quality. The smallest tank I have had succuss with in the crocea or maxima has been a 55/30sump. Not to discourage you as I have seen it done, but at least for me, I would not try dropping a $50+ Crocea, maxima, or gigas clam in a 20L, too risky.

hedonic

Originally Posted by SaGxMAN
I have found they get better growth, and maybe it is just psychosomatic, but I belive their colos are better (and I know the one may not have anything to do with the other) when supplemented with phyto and zoo plankton, at least the crocea's.

rujelus22

I have a teardrop maxima, dersa, and a hippo. The hippo and dersa are very easy to keep they were the first ones I tried, I grow my own phyto to feed the tank. The dersa Isn't as colorful as some of the other clams but has been getting more and more colorful since I got him he it tan in the middle with whitish stripes and the outer edge of his mantle is a beautiful bluish purple. Always open and never had to do anything with him other than feed phyto, but I was already doing that for all my softies.

reefiness

if that is a standard 20gallon. i would go with a derasa clam. although they do require the most light they are the smallest and in your tank it will only be about 6-10" from the lights if placed in the rockwork. my second choice would be squamosa. because they are only a little bigger then the maximas but they are cheaper ifyou want one of them as your first choice.

rujelus22

derasa's get big and need the least light, where are you getting your facts
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20050421193340/www.***********.com/images/products/large/p_80363.jpg
Quick Stats
Care Level: Moderate
Light: Moderate
Water Flow: Medium
Tank Conditions: 72-78°F; sg 1.020-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12
Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 1' 8"
Color Form: Blue, Green, Yellowish to Brown
Reef Compatible: Yes
Ideal Supplements: Calcium, Trace Elements
Origin: Aquacultured, Cook Islands
Family: Tridacnidae
Aquacultured: Yes
The Derasa Clam is also referred to as the Southern Giant Clam or Smooth Giant Clam. The latter name refers to the relative lack of ribbing and scales on the shell. The smoothness of its thick shell, and the 6-7 vertical folds helps to differentiate its species from T. gigas, its larger relative which is not as smooth and has 4-5 folds. In an aquarium, however, scutes may develop on the Deresa Clam. Its mantle is a mixture of orange, yellow, blue, and black and white, and usually has a wavy striped or spotted pattern, usually with vivid blues and greens. It has a narrow byssal opening and the incurrent siphon has tentacles. This species is one of the largest of the "giant" clams, and grows rapidly, reaching a maximum size of approximately 20 inches. Under the proper conditions, smaller Derasa Clams can double or triple their size in less than a year. Those in the aquarium trade are usually cultured.

sagxman

Woah, 20". I don't think I want that in my 30" 20L.
All of this info is really helpful though. Keep it coming and don't hesitate to show some eye candy. Any pics of what you folks have in your tanks?