Teddy Bear Crabs - Reef Safe?

kempobmx1

We've all heard of Teddy Bear crabs hitchhiking in on LR. Solid information on these guys seems extremely illusive and no one really seems to know their real story. Many speculate that they are non-reef safe, and that they will eat coral and other inverts.
I'd like some answers from anyone who actually knows for sure what the story is. Mostly, I'm looking for people with first hand experience or solid sources for their information. My LFS is able to acquire Teddies but my guy there is also under the impression that they are not reef safe. If it turns out they are not, I will do a 3G nano dedicated to them. I'd just much rather add two to my 29G BioCube.

speg

Basically you just want to ignore the advice of them being not reef safe?
I think I understand that you think they're really cool looking, but they are not safe for a reef.

scott t

+1 Speg
I just do not get it, even I have looked things like this up and see that they are not reef safe so I say nope I want to have a reef tank so its out of the question. I am just in the process of getting everything to set up my first SWF tank (55gal) and there is so many things that i would love to put into it but i know i cant, so i just move on and look for what else i can put into it. As Speg said if you want to just ignore that they are not reef safe then just throw it in your tank and see what happens. When it eats at your corals and other things then you will be totally dissapointed.

S

saxman

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
http:///forum/post/3285164
not reef safe.
agreed.
however, the trouble with "tossing it in and seeing what happens" means that IF there's a problem, you'll likely have to dismantle the aquascaping to remove the offending critter. it may be more prudent to set up a bucket with an airline and add a few "cheapy/freebie" frags to see what happens.
we have a gorilla crab, but it's a sump monkey. i won't even keep it in our FOWLR setups for fear it will pick on some of our scorps.

kempobmx1

To the first responses, no need to sound so annoyed at my question. I was simply looking for a few definitive answers. I was hoping for some information sources, which I still have not seen. What I continue gathering is that everyone knows them to not be reef safe, but I am yet to see someone say that they KNOW they have a Teddy Bear crab eating their coral. I'm not saying that I doubt that they will eat coral. I was just looking for some first hand experience if it's out there.
I very well might look into the cost of a 3g nano for Teddy's. I would see what can live in a tank with them and just setup a fun nano around the crabs.

speg

It's a lot more difficult for a website that sells livestock to break down and admit something as beeing "not reef safe" because they'll ultimately sell fewer of these animals. If you find a bunch of sites that tell you something is not reef safe then feel safe knowing that it isn't.
You'll be more likely able to find sites that tell you something IS reef safe when it isn't. I don't know many places that will admit to a teddybear crab being reef safe.

bg

I have a whole bunch of hitch hicker crabs that legs are furry like that but bodies are black with black claws. They have started to come out and feed 9 months later. I also have a hitch hicker mantis, it just came out 2 days ago. I would listen to everyone, its no fun trying to get something you do want in there out, easier just not to add it.

Not to sound rude,I would try to stop arguing. They aren't reef safe so don't keep it with a reef tank.
Not reef safe
Not reef safe
Not reef safe
Most crabs the have sharp pincers aren't very safe for fish and maybe for some inverts. crabs are opportunistic. In my opinion, i would put it in that 3 gal. nano you are thinking of doing.

armyb2006

In my experience Teddy Bear Crabs are safe for reef only tanks. THEY WILL EAT EVERY FISH IN YOUR TANK!!!!! I lost over $400 in fish before I figured out what was eating them. The one I had in my tank came in with a shipment of copepods I ordered from reefs2go.com.