Tek light problem, please help!

jjjoey

I have 55 gallon, with a 6x 54 watt tek light fixture. i haven't even had the fixture a year, i come home today and 2 bulbs are out...so i was like dangit they blew..but i put 2 new bulbs in...and still wont come on
is it the ballast or could it be something else?
There is two switches on the tek light.
Here is the bulb layout

[hr]
first switch

[hr]
second switch

[hr]
second switch

[hr]
second switch (no bulbs will come on if put in here)

[hr]
second switch (no bulbs will come on if put in here)

[hr]
first switch
what should i do ?

jjjoey

ok just took it apart...
only 2 huge ballasts.. so if one of the ballasts were out the front and back bulbs or the center 4 bulbs shoudl be out...
but only part of the center bulbs are out :(
im confused

fishfreek

Are there any loose wires in the hood you can see? Maybe one wire to the two bulbs in question has a short, also check the end cap connections. I'd start in those areas first.

teresaq

try wiggling the bulbs a little while the lights on. Every now and then two of my bulbs wont come on either.
T

scsinet

It's probably one ballast for the outer pair and one for the 4 inside lamps like you suspect. Ballasts that drive 4 lamps are sometimes built as two ballasts inside one can, so it's not that unusual for half the lamps to quit....
If the wiring is in place, new lamps do not work, and there is no visible corrosion, etc, then the ballast is probably the problem. If you haven't had the thing a year yet, is it still under warranty?