TEK LIGHTS-EHEIM FILTER & EURO REEF SKIMMER

stingrae

I checked out the Tek lights. I think I've narrowed it down to the Tek Light T5 Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting 3ft 4 bulb 156W. Will this be ample for a tank 31" deep? Will this put off so much heat that I will need a chiller?
Secondly, I wanted to get your opinion on the Eheim Pro Wet / Dry Canister Filter 2227, used in conjuction with a Euro-Reef CS Series Protein Skimmer.
The marine depot website recommended using the euro-reef w/ a dolphin dp pump. will i need a pump in a tank my size(36x16x31), or is that already included with the filter?
has anyone used these products? any opinions? :happyfish :happyfish

bojik

Tek lights = VERY GOOD from the mouths of those here who have used them. Ask fanker he seems to swear by them.

tx reef

T5s are no good for a tank that is 31" deep if you want to keep anything on or near the sand bed.
Go with 250 watt Metal Halides. Much better choice for a tank that deep.

stingrae

Do I have to worry that the heat output from the 250 metal hallides will melt my center brace on the tank? Will it also require me to have a chiller too? What made the T5's attractive to me was the fact that I wouldn't need a chiller. From what I've read here, I can still have corals on the ledges of the live rock.

fanker

Originally Posted by TX Reef
T5s are no good for a tank that is 31" deep if you want to keep anything on or near the sand bed.
Go with 250 watt Metal Halides. Much better choice for a tank that deep.

t-5s can penatrate just as much as mh. u can keep softies, zoas, ans some lps at the bottom

fanker

Originally Posted by stingrae
Do I have to worry that the heat output from the 250 metal hallides will melt my center brace on the tank? Will it also require me to have a chiller too? What made the T5's attractive to me was the fact that I wouldn't need a chiller. From what I've read here, I can still have corals on the ledges of the live rock.

the thing that made me go with t-5s is that, there the closest thing u can get to mh and the par of sertain fictures has more than mh. but mh runs hot, and must be kept 6-8" from the tank with a fan blowing so that the heat isnt directed in ur tank, also thats alot of watts, and the bulb usually lose there par with in 8-10 months,
but t-5s are great, less heat, less wattage(imo same affec as mh) and bulbs last 12-18 months,

deadeye

Originally Posted by fanker
the thing that made me go with t-5s is that, there the closest thing u can get to mh and the par of sertain fictures has more than mh. but mh runs hot, and must be kept 6-8" from the tank with a fan blowing so that the heat isnt directed in ur tank, also thats alot of watts, and the bulb usually lose there par with in 8-10 months,
but t-5s are great, less heat, less wattage(imo same affec as mh) and bulbs last 12-18 months,
Hey franker, so I am assuming the tek 6 bulb T5 lighting fixture would be more then enough for my 30 gallon long tank? I wish to do clams/anenomes/corals/fish in. I was also looking at a metal halide/T5 combo... but I don't want to buy a chiller so I don't know what to do. (sorry if I thread hijacked)

stingrae

Fanker, I think TX Reef's concern is that my tank is too deep, (31 in). Do you agree that even if I can't put corals on the floor they would do ok on the live rock ledges. While the MH lights might give me more coral options, I'm not willing to invest in a fan,chiller etc. I can run the T5's without a chiller from what I have read.

stanlalee

MH would be better in a 31" tank (actually the only proven choice at that depth) and for that depth your talking one 400w MH. your tank is 3ft long so one will do. With one 400w and 70+ gallons (if thats correct) you should be able to get away with proper fan cooling. An honestly you can get one 400w MH much cheaper than a good T5 set up. You can go anywhere from reconditioned ballast egay set ups for $120 up to name brand $400 pendants and still wont cost any more than the appropriate T5 system with bulbs. Now if you needed a two lamp set up it would be a little different.