TEK T5 or Nova Extreme T5 ??

mabee

I have finally decided against MH, I just can't afford it right now. ...

I'm trying to decide between the two T5 instead. I've heard good things about both but it makes it hard for me to decide because TEK has individual reflectors but Nova has lunar lights which I really want.
So which should I get for my 55g Aquarium? and should I go with 4, 6, or 8 T5's ??
Martin

dmjordan

individual reflectors are important than lunar lights. you can always buy lunar lights made by icecap later on if you want. as for how many bulbs... it depends on what you want to keep in the tank. buy the best you can afford now so you don't have to upgrade later.

lilcreep

I am currently doing the same thing. I decided im going to go with the tek light, and just get some lunar lights somewhere else. As for how many bulbs. Im going with the 4 bulb unit. I was told by several people who have it that that will be enough light for me to keep anything in my tank. Those same people were recommending the 4 bulb unit all the way up to the 65 i belive.

piscesblue

TEK T5 all the way. I was very tempted to go the cheap rout from the Dr.s and decided to go with the TEK at the last second. Boy what a difference they make over PCs. The TEKs are very high quality and I don't ever see having to replace this fixture, it's solid aluminum. I can email you the seller from that auction site who I got mine thru for just over $220 shipped. I paid $285 for mine, but the bulbs were included. I suggest buying the bulbs seperately. I have the 4 stirp over my 75 gallon and they are plenty. I'm not sure the 6 bulb would fit over a 55gal. Also, I found a guy who made me some beautiful acrylic legs for under half the cost of the TEK legs.
Don't be decieved by the bad pics, these things are BRIGHT! My bulbs are cheap and look "yellow", but all softies have doubled in size in only 2 weeks compared to the 4x65w Coralife PCs. See the white glare on the top of my tank in the bottom picture? That's how the whole tank looks in person. I can't wait to upgrade to some good bulbs and will be purchasing an Aquablue and Actinic plus ASAP.
Oh yeah, I picked up somp lunars from the Drs for $15.

mabee

Man you guys are fast!
Yeah ok I'm convinced. I'll buy the TEK 4x 54 lights then :cheer:
I would love some info PiscesBlue you could send it too bergermj@plu.edu
BTW what bulbs should I buy?
I have fish only atm do I still have to get them use to the lights by just having them on for a short period of time in the beginning?
Could anyone also recommend some lunar lights (I know dmjordan did already) and where I can get them. Would I be able to put them in the light fixture itself or would I have to come up with a different solution?
Sorry for all the questions I'm just new to lighting
I bet it would look pretty nice compared to my 80W Fluorecent lights...

Thanks a bunch
Martin

lilcreep

for bulbs i was going to go with these.
From front to back
Blue+
Aquablue
GE Sun
Blue+
this will give you a nice 14K MH shimmer effect.

mabee

Really!? :notsure: I didn't think you could get the shimmer effect without MH??? That's one of the reasons I really like MH

lilcreep

I didn't think so either, but some of the people i was talking to on another form were saying how it looks like the 14k MH. So that sold me even more.

mabee

I'm still kind of confused with the bulbs. What bulbs from WHERE? and why I've read about a lot of people using Actinic blue 03 but that wasn't on the list above.
I'm getting the TEK T5 4x 54W one so what four bulbs would be the best.
And if someone else could confirm the shimmer I would be greatful.
Martin
BTW I don't know much about lighting so I don't know the difference between
54W 6500K Daylight T5 HO Fluorescent,
54W 6000K Midday Sun T5 HO Fluorescent,
54W 10000K AquaSun T5 HO Fluorescent and
54W 12000K Actinic White (50/50) T5 HO Fluorescent for example

fanker

tek are way better than nova since the nova doesnt have individual reflectors u loos half ur light, but a 4x54w is way more than enough, heres a pick of my 55g in my room.
it is more blue in the pic so when u see it it looks like a 20k look but its a nice 14k i have
front
actinic+
aquablue
6k midday
actinic+
back

u can get the shimmer look with t-5s as long as u have alot of surface movement, and i have sps about 4" from the bottom and there fine,

fanker

Originally Posted by Mabee
I'm still kind of confused with the bulbs. What bulbs from WHERE? and why I've read about a lot of people using Actinic blue 03 but that wasn't on the list above.
I'm getting the TEK T5 4x 54W one so what four bulbs would be the best.
And if someone else could confirm the shimmer I would be greatful.
Martin
BTW I don't know much about lighting so I don't know the difference between
54W 6500K Daylight T5 HO Fluorescent,
54W 6000K Midday Sun T5 HO Fluorescent,
54W 10000K AquaSun T5 HO Fluorescent and
54W 12000K Actinic White (50/50) T5 HO Fluorescent for example

ok t-5s mean the size or the bulb so a normal floresant bulb is a t-12 and like an 1 1/2" in diameter and a t-5 is i think a half inch. u can get t-5 bulbs from almost any internet site, and they do make actinic 03 but they are a very dull blue and imo ugly.
6500k is the calvin temp so its a bright white almost yellow
600k is almost the same just a differant brand and 500k less so a tiny bit more yellow,
aquasun is a 10k so its a nice white
and actinic white is like aqua blue(50%actinic/50% white) but the aquablue is 60%blue and 40% white
hope it helps, just ask if u have any more questions

puffer32

Here's my 6 month reef under orbit extremes, 8 54 watters, nothing I can't keep, nough said..........

mabee

Thanks everyone I really appreciate it I just found out today that Geisemann are out of their 6k daylight bulb and it's not expected back in stock for 2-4 weeks

Well well atleast I know what to get so that makes life a little easier :cheer:
Thanks again guys you are awesome
:jumping:
:joy: