Tell me alittle about Conch plz

wwfstyle

Today I bought a conch, and it is still where I left him after about 40 min of socking him in his bag. I have never had one and nothing to do some really cleaning of my sand bed. So I thought that maybe he is happy in the one area( excact spot and cleaning there. Is there anything I should know about these guys? Tank size is 75. THX Rick

O

osufarker

What type of conch is it? The queen conchs grow quite large. The fighting conch is smaller.

armlocker

My new conch is acclimating as we speak, he hasnt come out of his shell either and is just over an inch long. The 5 turbo's and 5 nassarius are all crawling around like crazy. And my 2 emerald crabs hate eachother lol. hope my new cleaning crew does its job.

txharley

Heads up! I put one in my tank a couple of weeks ago. I am now finding empty turbo shells all over the tank. I only assume it is him since I witnessed him latch on to one of the Mexican turbos for several hours. I finally reached in and seperated them, several days later he was back and now the snail, as well as a few others are dead. Everything I read said they were not aggressive but there is nothing else in the tank to blame.

S

sebae0

wwf alot of times when you first add them they will stay in one spot for a while, you mentioned soaking him in the bag for 40 min did you add tank water also slowly as you did this? inverts need a long acclimation imo to adjust to your sg or salinity.

wwfstyle

Ya after like 15 minutes I start adding water to the bag about every 5-10 minutes. He has no moved since I posted this post. I just don't know a hole lot about them. Everything seems to be doing good now I guess for that part.

armlocker

Mine started walkin around the bucket i was acllimating them in, then after about 75 minutes when i added them to the take, he stayed closed for about 10 seconds then went exploring. Ive got 2 turbos that havent moved though, just sit there half open and its been about 15 hrs.... all the nasarius and the other 3 turbos were fine. Dont think these 2 will make it :mad:

coxy101

Don't worry - conchs are known for not moving! I love my conch, but he can bury himself for WEEKS and then come out and search for food. Conchs are also known for taking a bit longer to acclimate. Most people say that it's hard to tell if they're dead unless they don't move for days and you smell the shell and it smells like it's rotting.
I would say your conch is fine - it just takes a while to acclimate.
Just to let you know, even though you have a fighting conch (as do I), they still get large (around 5-6 inches). They also don't move around rockwork well, so make sure there's room between your rockwork and glass. Mine get wedge himself in there pretty well and needs to be "rescued" on occassion.

wwfstyle

Ya last night I saw him on the glass and boy it was really interesting to watch him. Watching that long mouth or what ever it is moving around. He did do a good job on side of the tank tho. THX guys. Hopefully he grows slow.