Tell me everything about keeping Softies

forddna

Quick bio -
220g 72x24x30 high
210lbs of live rock
3" live sand bed
Smallish sump, only 40g. Octopus nw-200 skimmer. The only semi high tech item I have is a phosban reactor.
I was suggested to check out softies because:
I am looking to NOT spend a ton of money or time on a complicated setup to maintain a full reef. Also, because of the height of the tank and the weight of the canopy, I'd like corals that do not need much effort put into them once placed.
I want lots of fish, and a bit of color from some corals. Does it sound like Softies are my best bet?

natemd

Softies sounds perfect for you.You can get some nice color with zoas and mushrooms for pretty cheap and you can get some nice center pieces with a large leather like a toadstool( I have one that is about 10" across) or colt coral. Soft corals are nice as well as they don't have the high light demands of sps and can grow in almost anything

forddna

I forgot to mention that I have 3 x 250w MH's, but that's over a 30" tank. Here's a pic..
sorry, it's big

That's not too much light, is it?

natclanwy

Flow depends on the type but most are medium to low flow, your lighting should be fine just be sure to light acclimate the corals when you add them to your tank.

scopus tang

Originally Posted by natclanwy
http:///forum/post/2623833
Flow depends on the type but most are medium to low flow, your lighting should be fine just be sure to light acclimate the corals when you add them to your tank.
Ditto that ~ plenty of light for any type of coral IMO! Would be a little concerned about the depth of your sandbed. 2" or less is recommended for shallow, 4"+ for deep. In between is kind of a hazard zone that can result in nitrate trap or release of noxious gases either of which can crash a tank ~ just pointing it out

A

alexmir

That tank looks like it could become an AMAZING reef tank!!

You could definitely keep a little more than leathers. Any LPS should do just fine under that light!IMO

forddna

Yay!!! I like several LPS corals. I forgot to say that I was posting the pic to show how my rock doesn't go real high, near the lights.
About the sand, I'll get an actual measurement. It might be only 2-2.5".
I bought this setup almost two weeks ago. Basically moved everything from the tank to my house. The only thing I changed was using my own sump and skimmer. All the sand was from his tank and the rock was from my small tank and a friend's big tank. So, I basically moved an entire setup.
How long should I wait to add corals? Should I be testing the cal and alk first, if I'm just keeping softies for now?
I am also beginning to switch over to the TM Pro Reef salt.

natemd

If the set up has been up running for a while somewhere else I would just check levels and you should be good to go. It looks like you should be good to go if you already have a purple tang in there

forddna

Yeah, I bought a Yellow Tang and Purple Tang when I got the tank. There is also a Yellowtail Damsel. All of them are doing great!