Tell me everything you know about mantis shrimp.

bstive

I need to know more about them. I have already searched on yahoo and know some about them but I think I might have one in my tank. Don't ask me about "what do you hear", "have you seen it", When do you hear it. I just want to know about what you know, Thanx

N

newreefers

I had one and I know they are BAD. Catching one and removing it from you tank can be wicked. If you can figure out which piece of rock he is living in, it is easier to remove the rock from the tank and then fish him outof the rock.

broomer5

Don't know all that much about them, pretty much what other folks know.
They do their thing when they get a chance and need to - that's simply to kill and eat things - as most living things do.
The one I recently removed from my tank did not fit in with my reef clean up crew plan - so it had to go. Reef tank janitors can be expensive to be replacing all the time, and the job they do at keeping nuisance algae in check is more important to me now than keeping a mantis.
Nothing against them personally - just didn't care to keep one for lots of reasons.
They're a facinating creature - but so are the mosquitos I swat now and then.

biggjohnn

i know i had one but have not seen him in a while ... but i keep getting fish and they dissappear in a week or so, im assuming that he's still there... any ideas on how to catch him ?
Biggjohnn
:confused:

bstive

I don't know, I am thinking about taking out my snails, and then adding a gallon of copper sulphate to the water, (exagerating).

If you do a search for mantis shrimp you will find lots of advice on this forum. The easiest I think is the trap you build from a soda bottle. Seems to work well despite it's design simplicity.
There is indeed a forum for folks who keep them in a species tank at reefcentral.com. Interesting reading. You might also check out reefs.org for interesting articles about them.
My son has a local only tank with two spearers. They really are very cool little creatures. He has local fish in the tank that they do not seem to bother, but they love the live shrimp he puts in for food. We also eat them( the mantis) at a local restaurant, they are called rock shrimp when on the menu. They are atually very good when battered and deep fried.
Be exremely careful putting your hands in the tank with the mantis. They are called thumb splitters for a reason. Try the soda bottle trap...good luck.