TEMP. CONTROL

I WANTED TO HEAR SOME SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO LOWER THE WATER TEMP. RIGHT NOW I'M FREEZING WATER IN OLD 2 LITER SODA BOTTLES.

kdlbem

I was having temp. problems, so I went and got a 5200 BTU AC unit for the living room. It's not big enough to keep the whole house cool, so we keep the rest of the house closed off, but it keeps the tank right around 80 degrees on really hot days(and we stay nice and cool too :D ) You can get one for about 125 bucks, that's way cheaper than a chiller. Also put a hagen powerhead in a few days ago, and it took the temp up to 84. So I unplugged it, and the temp dropped right back to 79 overnight. Have you put any new equipment in that could be generating heat?
HTH
B

jacksonpt

I've been getting pretty high temps lately too... been 90+ the last few days. I find that freezing water in ziplock (or 2-litre bottles) is a good way to keep the temp from getting any higher. I also turn the lights off an hour or so earlier than normal, and open up the canopy to let the warm air escape (I run a fan over the top of the water at night to help dispurse the warmth).
Good luck. If you find a better, easier, cheap way, let us know!

bryan01601

How about turning your lights off during the day when it is the hottest, and have them come on at night when it is cooler. I have done this a few times during heat waves for a week or two and have been able to keep the tank 3-4 degrees cooler. The soda bottles and ziplocked ice work great too. I have found that Blocks of ice melt slower than cubes. Good luck!
also dailt 5% changed with freshly made ro/di water that is cold helps also

handyman

Try using a little clip on fan. I was having problems with me JBL light increasing my temps. So, I tried the fan idea that the lfs gave me. It works great... I have it on the timer with my light. You could leave it on all the time if neccessary. :cool:

playtime

I liked the idea about turning the lights off during the hot part of the day and on at night. Keeping the hood up, the fans, and ice. Thats about all you can do unless you buy a chiller or cooler for the house. Is the tank near a window? If so, maybe a solar screen or heavy duty drapes to block out the heat. Hope this helped. Good luck.
Playtime

perps

Dont even complain to me about temps last week.. I've lost 2 cleaner shrimp.. 2 amoneies. . 3 pieces of coral .. 2 fire fire.. I was really just going to quit the hobby. If it wasn't for my koran angel then i'd quit by now.. How much abuse can i take? My tanks was like 100 degrees.. i freeze the salt water @ night.. Turnred off my UV filter.. Lights dont come on @ all unless i'm feeding.. Proteni Skimmer picked up so much waste out of the water it wasnt even funny.. Sorry i just had to let it all out!!