Temp Problems

dingus890

This is a little off topic as it is not about seahorses but I didn't want to post in the other forums as I have never before.
We had a bad snowstorm in Maine and lost power for about 4 hours the other day.Then today it happened again.I have a Generator but ofcourse that quits to...AGH!...
All the tanks seems fine except my fish only tank.My battery went dead on the thermometer in that tank and all the fish seemed fine after the power outtage.I bought a new thermometer put it in the tank only to be shocked that the water was 71 degrees.My heart sunk.All fish seems ok and the cleaner shrimp is doing fine.I on the other hand am stressed out of my mind...lol
My question is is this ok for the fish for a short time?I am trying to raise the temp very slowly to about 74 or 75 today.

kanicky

You'd be surprised how hardy most fish and inverts are to changing temps in tanks. Unfortunately I've had to deal with situations like that, too, in the winter, but thankfully, have not had any disasters or losses. I think you'll be okay.

dingus890

Well after all this I find out the new thermometer was wrong.
I put batteries in my old one that was in the tank before and the tank was 82.8!
So it is 6 degrees off!!I was so upset.
Today was my day to top off with fresh water so I have been adding some cooler water slowly to try and bring the temp down a little.These poor fish.They seem a little stressed as I beleive the tank after the power outage was 76 degrees.
I rinsed the new thermometer and put it into my other tank that is 79 degrees/It said it was 73!!
DO NOT BUY ZOO MED DIGITAL THERMOMETERS.They seem to have changed them and they are not acurate anymore.