Tempature and Ick!

moy

Hello guys.. I got a serious problem! ICK has invaded my tank.. I started treating with a solutin called KICK-ICH. My question is: Does is help to Raise the water Temp in my tank, to reduce the problem?? IF raising the water Temperature helps, to what Temp should i raise it too??
PLEASE HELP ! :eek:

T

thespook

I had a Ich problem one time and got some kind of treatment and I was told to rase the temp to between 82 - 84. I set it to 83 and treated the tank for a month only lost 1 fish but he was week anyway.
I figure what ever does not kill you makes you stronger so why not try!

p fish

There has been many posts here to never raise the temp, I'm sure they will repeat that again, so don't raise the temp.

It is my understanding that raising the temp disrupts the lifecycle of ich to aid in treatment. The question is whether or not it is worth stressing the fish out when they are already weak from the disease by raising the temp to 83/84. IMO, it is not worth stressing the fish out. QT is the best way to go and dips and Hypo-salinity is my preferred treatment with garlic as supplement during. I am sure Trey will shed some light on this one. if I remember correctly he is a dip and qt advocate and I happen to agree.

moy

Whats wrong with KICK-ICK?? Is it not good to use?? The local petstore said that was the only product i could use in tanks with inverts...Is there another product i should use for an fish/invert tank??
Is there something i should know about KICK-ICK!!! Your scaring me here... Ive been feeding my fish food soaked in garlic as well. I lost battle with the Blue Tang, he died las night... :mad :(
Help me out here???

moy

SO are there any Medications out there for both inverts and fish tanks envirnments?? :confused:

moy

Trey, you got in suspense here with all of your fancy words about killing and not killing inverts! :eek:
Say you were me and had inverts and no QT, which Medication would you pick out of all?
:D Thanks

moy

SO are you telling me that regardless if i get the fish cured within the week, the ICK is just gonna come right back! I already lost the main culpirt , the Blue Hippo Tang! I also lost a Cortes Angel! :(
Even if the KICK-ICK works, i still have to quaranteen all rest of the fish i have left: (Yellow Tang, Bicolor and Flame Angel and a Yellow Tail Damsel), in a separate tank?? :confused:
Ive been also soaking the food in Garlic. Guide me! :eek:

jimi

If the infestation was that bad that you lost fish, even if you knock it down a little it may come back worse. Really you should pull the fish and quaratine them for at least 30 days and leave your tank without a host. If you dont want to do that about the only thing that may help keep the level down is a u/v. I am a firm believer that healthy fish can fight off ich to a certain degree but once they are overtaken something needs to be done. Like Trey said most "invert safe" meds dont work because ick is an invert.

moy

Hey Trey, when you said that i shouldnt buy another fish for "awhile" until a "mini-cyle" completes, how do you think the MINIMUM time that i should wait before buying a fish!
Im getting restless here!! Just wanna hit the petstore right now and purchase a new baby! Please let me know how long i should wait!
:eek:

pufferlover

My only addition to the fine posts above is if you use garlic be sure you don't use too much. I did it once and really messed up everything by using too much for the amount of food being soaked.

moy

Pufflover,
Can you explain a little more about using too much garlic.
1.)How could you use too much garlic??
2.)What could go wrong if you happen to use too much garlic?? :rolleyes: