Temperature changes

dr. jay

Hi guys.... In this new season of hot weather, how do you guys deal with temperature changes. I dont understand it why, I keep my room at 75 or lower ( what the AC is set to) but the water has been as high as 83 degrees. I dont have a coolant system, and dont think I want to go there. It is expensive and I just dont want to continuously buy new hardware. I thought to put ice cubes in the sump but was then informed by my LFS that it is the worst thing I could do. Even water changes scare me for the large fluctuations. Is there any recourse here?? :confused:

paul monroy

Depending On the Size of the tank determines the problem and where you have it located.
What I do when my temp is high. Is open the top and turn the fan on and bring down the A/c temp of the house. Be sure to keep it away from a window.
-Good luck-

twoods71

I had the same problem. I added some lights and the temp shot up as high as 86. I found my problem was that I have a full hood and the heat from the lights had little ventilation. Now I leave the hood open during the day and the temperature fluctuations are only a couple of degrees. Max temp now is 80, average is 78 still a little high but much better then before.

Can also install to small fans (radio shack, comp usa, etc) into the hood to blow cool air across the surface of the water. Also make sure there is good current and o2 exchange. Sometimes heaters will not keep the water at the temperature set on the heater, if yours is adjustable. My Ebo Jager in my 75 gal. FO reads 75 degrees all the time but the temp is at a constant 79 so you might have to mess with the heater settings and set it a little lower. Also agree about the direct sunlight. If all that isnt pertinent I would install the fans in your hood.
[ May 14, 2001: Message edited by: Saltwater Marauder ]

goofieones

If you have a sump, freeze some 2 liter bottles with water, put one in the sump, always have another one in the freezer ready. This way you don't have new water going into the tank and you can cool the water, of course if the water starts to get to cool, the heater will kick in.

dr. jay

Interesting...... What do you guys think of that suggestion about the 2 liter bottles. I am worried that it can cause a fairly large change in temperature...and hence bring out the dreaded ICK

moksha

I am glad I stumpled onto this post, I have been thinking I would need to buy a water chiller, but who has about 800 to spend on one of those? I live in KC for petes sake. I am going to try keeping the hood open, and get a fan behind it to blow some cool air. My 75 Gal has gotten as high as 84, I thought I was going to boil them, it is refreshing to see I am not alone. Thanks for the ideas about keeping it cool!