Temperature question

songman

I have a 75 gallon tank and with the sump and tank it actually holds around 75 gallons of water. Anyway my temp fluxuates from about 82 at night to 86 during the day. Is this a problem and if so which chiller should i buy, and if i buy one should i buy one with the uv sterilizer built in.
Please give me some opinions and if you recommend a chiller please recommend a brand. I don't want to spend a fortune but i want to buy something that is quality and will last.
thanks in advance
r

mushroomss

well if you dont wanna spend money and you want an alternative.run your lights during the night time.i know its not as fun not being able to watch all the time but your temp should be find.also you should try and lower it to around 79-80,82 is a bit hot

viper_930

Do you have a glass top on the tank? If so, removed it.
Also get a cheap fan to blow air across the top of the tank. It'll help with evaporation and can lower the temp a few degrees.

songman

Yes, actually i just bought 4 glass pieces rated to stand head up to 500 degrees. I also have two 5 inch elec fans the fit under the open back of the canopy and blow in directly at the 250 wat halides.
Are you telling me to remove the glass top. I would much rather not have them there, but i thought that i couldn't have my light over open water.
let me know when you can.
thanks

laddy

No you can have lights over open water, I believe most will tell you that its preferred that way, as ViPer was suggesting.....

songman

Good, i already took them down. I will give it a day or two and report back temp and get yall opinions on whether it is ok or is need to buy a chiller. So don't forget about my little thread and check back in a few days.
thanks in advance

laddy

I don't know where you live or what kind of temp extremes you may get in the summer time, but chillers really aren't necessary unless it's 100 degrees outside with no AC in the house. You'd be spending way too much money to pick up a few degrees less in temp. Also, how do you know 80+ degrees is a bad thing for your tank. Most will run their reefs somewhere from 78 to 82 degrees--I've even "talked" with people who keep it at 85 degrees. IMHO, the MOST important thing is consistency.....to target a temp and attempt (year round) to keep the temperature at that number, regardless of what time of the day/night it is, or what time of year it is. In the long run, your tank will thank you if its at 78 deg 99% of the time, or 82 deg 99% of the time.

rsedatec

i lost alot of fish due to the temp being to high. i got myself a 1/3 hp titanium chiller for my 120 gal tank. it cost about 900 dollars. it is quite and seems to be working great. it is worth the money. i keep my tank about 77 degrees. good luck

pyro

Point your fans at the water, not the lights. You won't cool the lights down, but you will make the water evaporate more which will cool it off.
Let us know how it goes =)

rsedatec

i know i lost them to high temps because all water par were good. and since i got the chiller i havent lost a fish.

pyro

My tank fluctuates about 3-4 degrees from day to night. I don't even keep a thermometer in it unless I added equipment or anything of the sorts. I've never had a problem due to temperature. I think as long as it's gradual everything is ok with it. That's my expirience at least.
Good Luck, let us know if/how you fixed the problem =).