temperature range of reef tank

yardrat

imo you should keep your tank 79-80 degrees year round.. some people like there temp a little cooler.. but overall you should keep a consistant temp in your tank at all times.

musipilot

I wrestled with the temperature thing for a long time, due to the fact that everyone has a different opinion. I settled on 76 degrees, and everything has been fine.

keitho

well, temperature is less important than temperature consistency. people have varied opinions on what is the "best" temperature, and to be honest everything from 72-84F will probably work without a hitch. the more difficult thing in a small tank is to make sure the temperature doesn't fluctuate more than a couple of degress regularly. i try to keep my tank between 80-82F, and i never let it get out of the 79-83F range (unless there's an accident). the other thing you need to consider is what is the temperature like the majority of the time in the room where the tank will be located? if the room spends more time around 76F than 66F, it will be hard to keep it at 72F all the time. if, on the other hand, the room is at 72F nearly all the time, then you can basically choose any temperature you want. anyway, hope this helps... ;)