Temperature

wax32

Paletta's The New Marine Aquarium suggests 75 degrees but everyone around here seems to lean toward warmer temps. I've got mine set at about 79.5.

madison

GSP, Zoo's, Frogspawn, Leather Toads, mushrooms are all from Indonesia...maybe 81F?
I was going to say they are from the LFS...sorry...not funny :-(

bang guy

According to NOAA the sea surface temp in Indonesia averages 85F - 86F. During La Niña the average can drop to 84.5F and during El Niño the average temp can climb to 88F.
Given these values 85F would be a good temp for your animals.

K

krustytheclownfish

I keep mine in the 80-82 range. Most important is to pick a temp and keep it stable. Lots of different opinions on what is the "right" temp. Don't spend too much time worrying about it. FWIW a study was done that looked at over 1000 reefs and found that the average temp was 81.7.
Kleypas, J. A., J. W. McManus, and L. A. B. Menez. 1999. Environmental Limits to Coral Reef Development: Where Do We Draw The Line. American Zoologist. 39: 146-159.
John

tome

I keep my tank around 78 degrees but some people keep there tanks temperature higher than that which is fine. But i would not reccomend putting it much lower than 77-76 degrees.

cowfishrule

i keep my tank at 77-78
thinking about it, when i was in hawaii, the surface temp was about 81degrees when we snorkeled. most of the fish we keep were 10-15 feet below the surface, where the temp is cooler. i even have a pic of a moorish idol approx 35 feet below the surface, where the temp is much cooler.
i wouldn't see the harm in keeping a 75deg tank, as long as you take that into consideration during acclimation
just my opinion

bang guy

Originally posted by KrustytheClownFish
FWIW a study was done that looked at over 1000 reefs and found that the average temp was 81.7.

I agree that whatever temp works for you - definately keep it as stable as possible. Optimum temps are debatable. Stability is not.
I saw a study years ago that stated the average reef temp was about 78F. If you look at the fine print some people would notice that many of the reefs listed were temperate reefs. For hobbiests, that made the study useless.
Looking at 1000 reefs might not give you a valid number, it depends on the reefs included in the study. Temperate reefs are chilly and bring down the average. If you're keeping temperate animals that's fine but most of us keep tropical animals. You need to look at the reefs where your specific animals are most densely populated.
If you're keeping Florida corals then 80F might be too high. If you're keeping Southern Red Sea animals then 80F might be too low.
In actuality I like the specified temp of 81.7 'cause I keep my animals at 82 - 83F. Just showing my thinking on my recomendation.

cowfishrule

i agree...
it depends on what you have, and stability is way more important than "correct", at least with fish
its like our weather.
id rather it be 40 permanently or 80 permanently, but not 80 to 40 to 80 in a couple of days.