Temperature

indy1

My tank's temp is around 80f with the lights off and 84f with the lights on. And has been that vway since day 1. Is that gonna cause a problem? If so what are some suggestions?

indy1

I'm using 2 36" 96w PC's for light approx. 8" off of water with glass canopy between the fixture and the water

krazzydart

]The temp is toooooo high... I keep mine at 77 degrees.where is your tank located??? what is the temp in your home???

indy1

Tank located near window. Also near heater vent but the vent is closed off. I set the heater at 75f, Could the heater be faulty, and me not know? Thanks for the help. Even with the "high" temps tank is doing well.Now it's time to take care of the algae!!!!!

krazzydart

good luck... get a new heater(by the way is your heater submersible or not??? because if not some moisture may get into your heater and short it out,salt water is good at corroding the contact points on a heater that is not submersible)
Originally posted by Indy1:
Tank located near window. Also near heater vent but the vent is closed off. I set the heater at 75f, Could the heater be faulty, and me not know? Thanks for the help. Even with the "high" temps tank is doing well.Now it's time to take care of the algae!!!!!

jt

Get rid of the glass canopy. I have been told this by several pet store proprietors. It acts like a greenhouse and increases the heat. It will also pick up a lot of salt condensation and probably some algae. Look at the pet stores. None of them have glass between the water and the lights....

reefrat

Indy 1,
Your temp is fine. It in fact follows the temps in much of the Indo-Pacific areas. The variation is also natural. If anything, it may be a little cooler.
Now if you have a Florida/Bahamas biotope, cooler would be ideal.
rr.