Tempored glass vs. Non Tempored

sportbikemike

Is there any way to tell if a tank has a tempored bottom by just looking at it? I have a 90 tank and am going to be putting 150lbs of LR in it and I would hate for it not to hold. Will it really matter if it is not tempored? I bought the tank froma guy I work with and he doesn't know. It is a AGA tank though. He said he only had it for a couple of years and bought it new. He had a 18" Arawana (sp) in it before with 4" deep of stone.

f14peter

I'd be fairly confident that the bottom sheet of a few-years-old 90g AGA tank is tempered. Think of it this way . . . 90g of just water is going to weigh close to 800 or so pounds and I doubt that AGA would make a tank that couldn't even stand up to mere water. Typically, the bottom of larger tanks are tempered, the sides not.
Maybe it's only a recent development, but most tanks I see have a sticker on the bottom that advises that it's tempered.
I have heard that looking at glass with polarized sunglasses may reveal if it's tempered or not, but I don't know for sure. I do know that when I look through my car windows (tempered) with said type of sunglasses I can see "Spots" that are invisible with the

[hr]
eye or unpolarized glasses, but I don't know if that's because it's tempered or tinted.
I suppose you could contact AGA and see if they ever made a 90g tank without a tempered bottom.
Of course, one way to check to to whack at it with a hammer or try to drill a hole through it. If it shatters into a pile of small gravelly pieces: tempered . . . if it cracks into large, uneven shaped razor-sharp pieces: untempered. However, for some reason I don't that that's a test you'd like to run.