tempurature? does anyone know?

greeds

ok..so i know that this is a dumb question but i gotta know..what is the ideal temp for a reef tank? ive been told a million diffeerent things and ive kept mine at 76 F but i keep hearing that 79 to 80 is better...do certtain fish need alower temp or what?
one more thing--power heads- so ibought a maxi jet 1200 for my 55 gallon tank and it blew everything away-cleared my tank of fish even over night! i returned it and bought a maxijet 400 which is good to a degree but i think the flow is a littloe weaker than id like. should i hit a 600 or 800 for my tank size? also, the maxi jets have great guards so as not to suck up my long tentacled anemone-at least 4 inches from the moving motor and the grill is really tight so not much can get in there. (i had a different guard on it before and sure enuff my anemone got sucked in-hes recvering but hes got the scarrs to verify his little adventure) anyhow-i want a power head with a long attachement guard like the one ive got and am looking at ordering a rio on this site...any tips or clues as to best powerheads with the best guards?
thanks to anyone who can help me solve this!
greg

sufunk

on temp people will telll you anywhere from 78-82, i try for 79-80.
As for the powerheads, everyone will tell you that you not only need the mj 1200 but you should probably get another one. When i first set my mj900 in my 36g it blew everything away too and i thought it was way too strong but its all in the positioning. Play with it and find where it works best. Mine is on the side , close to the top with the attachment pointed the spray almost str8 up to increase surface agitation. Play with its position and try to add another.
Dont get rio's, even though i have a rio600 that has worked fine for alomost a year in my UV, they are notorious for overheating and messing up your tank, they also seem to rattle more than the mj's to me. Stick with the maxijets

greeds

thanks for the quick reply! but seriously? 2 1200's in a 55g? but wont the curreent keep the fish grounded? will they even swim around in the tank? or are you suggesting i get another 400 for the tank? sorry, it just seems crazy to me right now...after my experience with the single 1200, im kinda freaked!
greg

kelly shaw

i have read on here that you take your gallon about of your tank and times it by 10. that is the about of flow you want. you have a 55g. so you would want at least 550 gph of flow in your tank.

saltyfishy

Originally Posted by sufunk
Dont get rio's, even though i have a rio600 that has worked fine for alomost a year in my UV, they are notorious for overheating and messing up your tank, they also seem to rattle more than the mj's to me. Stick with the maxijets

They rattle alot. I had mine for a month then they started to rattle a lot and since m ytank is iin my room it was so loud I couldn't sleep. I had to sleep in my family room until me maxijets were shipped. LOL
DONT GET RIO'S

greeds

thanks for the tips guys..very helpful! im going to get a maxi jet 1200 again and maybe postion it so it shoots along the back wall of my tank..that might keep the fish in the front too....hopefully the draft will be enuff to keep my anemone happy even if hes not in the direct flow...

1911_guy

I wouldn't worry about too much flow out of a PH. It's called current and I'm sure you're fish and corals will love you for it...unless you put like 4 1200's in a goldfish bowl. :scared: Good luck.