Tenting the house for termites

nordkapp

it looks like I'm going to have to tent my house due to termite activity

is covering my reef tank sufficient or should I do something else?

mrdc

Originally Posted by nordkapp
http:///forum/post/3281477
it looks like I'm going to have to tent my house due to termite activity

is covering my reef tank sufficient or should I do something else?
Seems like your only option is to cover or move it. Man, that's actually a good question and one I haven't seen before. Maybe someone else has had a similar experience.
Termites suck. Had some damage done by them at my last house!

nordkapp

terminix and all other companies recommended to move the tank, I will go in that direction and let you klnow how it goes

ryancw01

You are going to have to cover it up and completely seal it with trash bags or a tarp or something. Duct tape works well to seal it with the plastic. All pumps and protein skimmers should be turned off and if you have a sump then you have to cover that also. That is kind of a tricky one though so be careful.
Terminix will recommend moving the tank because they do not want to be responsible if you do not cover it well enough so you can take that for what it is worth.

theappe

Sorry to bring up and old thread, but I think this is gonna be a service to some people. People always ask what to do and some people recommend to put a cover on the tank, but no one actually replies back if they did it or not and what success they had.
Well my house got tented for termites. They used Vikane. I covered the tank with a plastic painters tarp from the local hardware store and taped it around the base of the tank.
Important factors to consider:
1) There was no oxygen line running from the outside as some people have suggested
2) Tarp on tank was NOT super air tight, but i did my best.
3) I did not see my tank for like 17hrs, which I uncovered it afterwards.
4) 72gal reef tank and I only lost one fish.
Please feel free to ask me any questions as I feel that a lot of people would appreciate this information.