Terminator Skimmer

debbie g

Has anyone had any experience with the "terminator skimmer"? It says that it is a "sump-less" skimmer. It is supposed to draw water directly from aquarium, skim, then return back to aquarium. I have a refugium but most footprints are too big for my refugium so I thought this sounded great. However, I don't want to just jump in and spend this money...($300 plus the pump and tubing) w/o seeing if anyone has tried this. If it works, it really would be such a help to everyone w/o a sump or refuge, or in my case-too small a fuge.
Thanks all.
Debbie G

melbournefl

Debbie, I have just ordered one with the sumpless kit, there is a new model coming out in a couple of weeks so I'm waiting for it. I'll give you an update when it arrives.
Paul

debbie g

Hiya Melbourne, Thanks for the response. As you can see, no one had any info on it for a while so I went ahead and ordered it. I just got it yesterday. The instructions are absolutely horrible. Somehow I got it together though. They gave me a wrong elbow so I have to run over to Home Depot and see if they have the right one and hopefully I'll get it started some time this afternoon. I'll report back to you on it. Cross your fingers for me.
Debbie G

melbournefl

Oh good now you tell me
I'm sure everything will work out fine. I got the instructions for the sumpless add on kit and I think I understood them but I'll wait and see what actually arrives at the doorstep before I make a final call. Did you get the new model? I *think* it's the Terminator II.
Sitting back with fingers crossed and waiting to hear more on Ms Debbie's adventures in plumbing land.
Paul

debbie g

Hmm, I do not think mine said anything about terminator "2". But I did get the sumpless kit. Now here's the problem...I went to all the stores I could think of to find that stinkin' elbow that was missing from the kit. No one has it! So yesterday evening I emailed the company that made the kit and asked them to send me one. So now I have to sit and wait till it arrives. Meanwhile, if someone should look through my kitchen window and see all this paraphernalia all over the counter, they're gonna think that I am some kind of evil scientist. I'll get back to you. If you get yours going first, let me know!
Debbie G
P.S. And of course I'm LOVING the fact that I just got mine and it's already replaced with a new and improved one...grrrrr

melbournefl

Debbie, tell me more about this elusive elbow. I've looked at the instructions that were available on the site I ordered mine from and all the plumbing "appeared" to be pretty standard PVC fittings. Is this elbow on the terminator itself or on the sumpless kit?
Paul
P.S. Now you know how I felt in the 80's when every time I bought a puter the new model was being unloaded at the delivery dock :mad:

debbie g

The elbow was missing from the terminator itself. It appears very generic to me, but apparently, having threads on both ends is the unusual thing about it. At any rate, I emailed the company that makes it and they said they sent the elbow out to me. Hopefully I'll have it tomorrow. Can't wait to have this overwith!
Debbie G

debbie g

Hey Melbourne, did you get your kit yet? I received the elbow that was missing. Got it together. Found out I didn't need to spend the extra money on the sumpless kit, but too bad for me because I already broke it. That little sucker got EXTREMELY HOT! So be careful when you get yours going. I have it working for the third day now and its starting to pull out some gunk now. Tell me how yours works out. Good luck!
Debbie G

melbournefl

I haven't gotten mine yet Debbie, it's supposed to ship soon though. The new model is being released this week I think and then I'll get it. Let you know when I know more. Good luck!

debbie g

I hate it. It started working the first few days. And never again. A very tiny but crucial piece broke. I could never get it fixed with any type of glues, tapes, etc. I tried.
To order the part and put it back on would mean taking apart just about everything because it is all siliconed or otherwise permanently put together. So to me, it is just another worthless skimmer. I also found it to be tempermental as far as keeping the water level just right. Way too much adjusting. I wouldn't recommend. Sorry.
Debbie G

debbie g

Just had to update this. Just so happens that I was able to remove and replace the broken part. As soon as it was plugged in, it started foaming like crazy. So it DOES work, just make sure you are careful and don't break any parts.
Debbie G