Termites!!!!!!! Aaaaaggghhhhh!!!!!!!

isistius

i have termites!!!!!!!!

anyone here ever deal with this while thier tank has been up and running? i've had the pest control spot treat, but they are back. if i need to tent the house what can i do to save the tank??
HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!! :help:
i need suggestions

S

saltfreak4

Originally Posted by Isistius
i have termites!!!!!!!!

anyone here ever deal with this while thier tank has been up and running? i've had the pest control spot treat, but they are back. if i need to tent the house what can i do to save the tank??
HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!! :help:
i need suggestions

Yeah, I have dealt with it. The tank has to be moved. They will NOT survive the tent. Don't gamble, just move it. I worked for a termite pest control place, trust me the tank can not be covered, or eceteria.

patandlace

There is alternatives to tenting. For drywood termites they could treat with timbor or premise and you wouldn't have to remove your tank.

S

saltfreak4

Originally Posted by patandlace
There is alternatives to tenting. For drywood termites they could treat with timbor or premise and you wouldn't have to remove your tank.
Ok, IF the house HAS to be tented, the tank has to come out.

patandlace

Are you sure you still have termites? Did you see a swarm of termite wings or are you seeing pellets dropping from the walls? If it is the later it is normal to see the pellets falling out as they settle for years. I would suggest treating the entire house with premise. It would probably cost a lot less than tenting and IMO, when done right, it is a more effective treatment. Using premise to treat your house will rid the infestation and prevent reinfestation for years and years.Tenting is effective however when the tent comes off the house there's nothing to stop more termites from feasting on your wood. Good luck!

theappe

Sorry to bring up and old thread, but I think this is gonna be a service to some people. People always ask what to do and some people recommend to put a cover on the tank, but no one actually replies back if they did it or not and what success they had.
Well my house got tented for termites. They used Vikane. I covered the tank with a plastic painters tarp from the local hardware store and taped it around the base of the tank.
Important factors to consider:
1) There was no oxygen line running from the outside as some people have suggested
2) Tarp on tank was NOT super air tight, but i did my best.
3) I did not see my tank for like 17hrs, which I uncovered it afterwards.
4) 72gal reef tank and I only lost one fish.
Please feel free to ask me any questions as I feel that a lot of people would appreciate this information.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by theappe http:///t/231890/termites-aaaaaggghhhhh#post_3462822
Sorry to bring up and old thread, but I think this is gonna be a service to some people. People always ask what to do and some people recommend to put a cover on the tank, but no one actually replies back if they did it or not and what success they had.
Well my house got tented for termites. They used Vikane. I covered the tank with a plastic painters tarp from the local hardware store and taped it around the base of the tank.
Important factors to consider:
1) There was no oxygen line running from the outside as some people have suggested
2) Tarp on tank was NOT super air tight, but i did my best.
3) I did not see my tank for like 17hrs, which I uncovered it afterwards.
4) 72gal reef tank and I only lost one fish.
Please feel free to ask me any questions as I feel that a lot of people would appreciate this information.
theappe..Just a friendly suggestion.....next time you should PM the person you are trying to help. You have old threads all over the place now. All you had to do was share your story, and tell the person you wanted to help, what to search for on the site.

icedtc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/231890/termites-aaaaaggghhhhh#post_3462831
theappe..Just a friendly suggestion.....next time you should PM the person you are trying to help. You have old threads all over the place now. All you had to do was share your story, and tell the person you wanted to help, what to search for on the site.
+1. I am aware you are also trying to help out which is great but upon checking out the reef tank section of the forum it seems like you copied & pasted your text in about 4 or 5 different old threads all refering to termite issues.
It may be best to pm the person as suggest or even make a new thread in the appropriate section. This way you can share your experiences and also not flood the forum with the same response several times.
Just trying to help out