TERMITES..HELP!!!!!!Sharks,,please.

tallyho

I have to treat my house for termites and am
worried about the pesticide fumes.I have a 150
with the filtration below in the stand ..i have
tight glass top and wooden canopy. I also have a 29 gal Q-tank which is open.Treament area only
about 10 feet from the tank...and advice is
appreciated....
Regards

galina

I'm also worried about that...
This friday we're getting the ant spraying people to come in and they spray right onto of where my tank is. I plan to put plastic wrap over the entire top of the tank for about half an hour for when pest control comes and leaves.. The cheap stuff they use to wrap up food and junk.. just to make sure. :)
Galina
But I'm sure about fumes..

broomer5

I've never had to deal with this, but I've heard others mention that they've wrapped their tanks with tight fitting Saran wrap type plastic, over the entire suface of their tanks when insecticides are sprayed, or they are doing major painting in their homes.
They got a powerful airpump at lfs, and a very long airline tubing to run from the tank - to an outdoor area far from the spraying.
Upwind would be best if possible. Place the airpump outside, and feed fresh air to your covered tank by slipping the open end of airline into a small hole in the plastic wrap near one edge of the the covered tank, and taping around this point. Then a few very small pin sized airholes in the plastic wrap ( or natural leak points ) will allow you to keep a positive air pressure on the tank, forcing air OUT of this enclosed area above the water surface, and hopefully keeping any insecticide vapors from entering the tank.
Under tank filtration may be a little trickier, but use your head - you'll figure out something.
Your aim obviously is to keep vapors out of any open exposed areas of sump/wet-dry as well. You may have to deal with this similar fashion - but could be slightly more difficult.
I would leave it this way for more than a half hour after spraying. If all goes well, and you constantly are feeding fresh vapor free air to the system, you could go for a much longer period of time.
QT's same thing unless you want to tear it down and just put back up later.
Watch your critters close -
Don't let the plastic wrap pop, it should be tight and bowed up some from outside air pressure -
You should be able to feel small stream of air coming out of these small pinholes in the plastic wrap -
Don't skimp on too cheap of an air pump -
Home Depot sells long lengths of vinyl airline tubing on those big spools, you can get it cut to length. Better than trying to splice a bunh of short lengths together from lfs.
Run some activated carbon or polyfilters if possible -
Reduce but do not eliminated surface water rippling by any powerheads you may have in place -
Keep your fingers crossed -
Wish you both luck !

a&m '96

I'm an entomologist with an agricultural chemical company (we make some of the chemicals used for pest/termite control), and you're on the right track. There is a class of insecticides called synthetic pyrethroids that is EXTREMELY toxic to fish. If you could, try and find out what product they are using for your termite job and let me know. If the guy knows what he's doing, you shouldn't have siginificant exposure in the house itself, but I'd ask for a non-SP chemical just to be safe. As for the ant chemicals, try and see if he will use baits. That would prevent any problems for your fish. If he wants to spray, you need to cover and unplug the tank until the treatment dries. Just as an aside, none of the current products registered for household use are volitile (they don't emit toxic fumes). The only risk of exposure to your tank comes when the spray is being applied- when it is airborne. Once it's been applied and it's dry, you won't have a problem. Just be sure that he sprays in areas where you won't pick up residue on your hands and put them in the tank.

S

sinner's girl

We just went through this last weekend. What we did was covered the tanks with two thick trash bags, and turned off the filters/pumps but left the heater on. everything was covered and shut down for about three hours. The fish and creatures are fine.