terometer

gohome

i got one today and it said for freshwater fish tanks. its it stained steel, and it goes in a tank can i put it in my sw tank?>

bigarn

I guess you mean thermometer... do yourself a favor and get a digital one, only the probe end goes in the tank.

bigarn

Originally Posted by gohome
is the digital one the little one that sticks on the outside?
Nope ... it runs on a battery ... the probe goes in the tank (usually a suction cup holds it) and the digital read out is outside the tank. Just ask at the LFS they'll know.

chipmaker

No the one that sticks on the tank on the outside is a LCD display type which leaves a lot to be desired......Look for a coralife Digital thermometer with submersible probe. Its approximately 1 1/4" x 2" in size and has about a 36 inch long wire with a probe on the end. It is switcheable from F to C and the probe can simply be placed in the tank with the digital readout stuck in a suitable place with attached small suction cup. If you look hard on line they can be had for under $5.00 They are just as accuarate as most any of the thermometers in the stores, and come guaranteed to be accurate within - + 2 deg.....The 9 that we have are all well within that 2 deg variation.

bigarn

Originally Posted by shista
not to jack the thread but are the sticker ones good?
IMO .... Nope!

s.cheeks

I wouldn't use a sticker thermometer, mostly because if it decides to quit working one day for some odd reason, they are a royal pain getting off (especially if it had been on an old fish tank which has been sitting around for a few years! i had to use a brillo to scrape the thing off!) I use a glass mercury thermometer, which worked fine..... until my Shubunkin smashed into it and broke it lol