terrible algea on corals, HELP!

jdodd

I bought a lot of equipment from a coworker. I got lots of powerheads, MH, fish and coral, and lr. The problem is that the lr and coral have so much algea that I don't know what to do. Even the snails and crabs look like monsters cause of all of the algea. What should I do?:help:

michael7979

Take as much of the algea out of the tank manually, do a water change, turn the lights off for awhile(day or 2), use current to move the water around more and suspend the algea so the filters can take it out. add more snails, crabs, etc. to help get it under control. Check to see that your water is in the right parameters. See if any of this helps you out.

C

crm13

I wouldn't do that. You should try what was already mentioned. It will take a little while, but it's better for your tank in the long run because those things really upset the balance of a lot of other things in your tank.

elohssa

Use filtered water (RO/DI) for your top-offs & water changes. It's your first line of defense against algae.

clarkiiboi

First and foremost, keep your parameter in check with water changes, if needed. Then in the mean time, a new soft toothbrush will work for cleaning off the rocks, coral, snails, and crabs. Run any filters you have and clean as needed. Your tank will get messy/cloudy. That should clear up in a few hours. I would not recommend turning off the lights with corals, maybe reduce the time that's it. What algea did you inherite? That may clear up with a good cleaning and your parameters being better. HTH