Tesselata Eel species Tank

mike7587

I am courious as to how mant tesselata eel's i can have in a 300 gallon 96x24x30 with a 3" sand bed And About 150 Pounds of live rock with a system of pvc pipe? (They will all be introudced at the SAME TIME)

aw2x3

For a while, you can have one...after a while, you're gonna have to upgrade considerably...500gal+.
Under NO cirsumstances, should Tess. be housed together, especially if you're talking about anything under 1000gal.

aw2x3

Zebra Eels stay ALOT! smaller than Tess. In a 300gal. tank, you could have numerous Zebras.
Why stay with only one species tho? I keep nothing but Morays, myself and have a few different species in one tank.

aw2x3

Right now, I only have two tanks. My 200gal. is under going an overhaul and is empty, in the garage (plus, the house I'm in, right now, the floors wouldnt be able to support the weight).
I also have a 90gal. that currently houses a female Hawaiian Dragon Moray (32") and a male Whitemouth Moray (30").
In the next few months, I'm going to be setting up the 200gal. again and will on the search for a Brazilian Dragon and more Hawaiian Dragons. Those will all be housed in the 200gal...maybe 4 - 8 Morays, when it's all over and done with.

mike7587

do you think i could have 8 zebras living happily in the 300 gallon or do you think less?
(apperciate the help)

aw2x3

If it were me, I'd maybe go for 4 - 6 and throw in some smaller fish, for some color (Chromis, Damsels, etc).
But, I ask again...why go with just one species of Moray? Just personal preference, or what?

mike7587

No real reason like there looks and they all have the same exact needs less to worry about with a species tank. also will they eat my cleaning crew?

aw2x3

Zebra Moray will eat clean up crews...crabs, shrimp, etc.
You can get different Morays that eat the same thing and have the same needs.
Pretty much every species of Moray is almost bulletproof...no worry about disease, etc.

unleashed

a 300 will suit a tess for life the likelyhood that they would reach full capacity in captivity is very slim .these eels normally reach the max length of 5ft 10in there are reports of them being seen larger but none of these reports have been recorded or substanciated(proven).. but the tess is a very territorial and solitary creature and should be housed alone they will eat other eels including that of the same species

aw2x3

A 300 might sustain one for juvenile to sub-adult, but certainly not for life.
Not to be rude, or to start an arguement, but you've had yours for what?...a few months (6 months, at most), unleashed?...and it's only 30" or so? That's hardly an adult sized Tesselata. That's barely more than a baby.
You may say that they'll only reach 5' 10", but myself and countless others have seen Tess. that have been close to 10' in length. I've personally seen 20+ different specimens (in captivity and in the wild) that have been larger than 8'. You also say that it's very unlikely that they'll reach full adult length, in captivity...but, just like any other fish, if you provide enough space, feed right, etc. then it WILL reach adult length (alot bigger than 5' 10").
If you research and dont think you can properly house a Green Moray, then you cant properly house a Tesselata Moray.

titan

Surely there's gotta be a public aquarium with tess's exceeding 5'10"? Every other bit of livestock they usually contain is massive.

unleashed

i have spoken with 3 icthyolagist 2 via email 1 via phone .due to the fact that i have a tessalata moray eel i had to due extencive research to be sure if i could properly house this particular eel 1 professor being located in south africa another professor being in australia.the third which happens to run the aquraium at the toledo zoo this one by phone. all 3 of these people being expert in the feild all stated the same facts the tess normally reaches the max length of just 5ft 10 in although there have reported sighting of larger specimines these have not been documented or confermed.i find it rather hard to swallow the idea of this species being seen harbored in captivity at larger lengths than that of which has been documented and recorded by those that spend their lives researching all of these species but yet they have missed all of these particular specimines?..in reguards to the comparison of the green morey this is what is stated by the florida institute of natural history musium also most aquariums will not house a tess due to its solitary nature with limited funding they find it to be unpractical to limit a large tank to one specimin
link below
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Galler...reenMoray.html
now as for large numbers of zebra eels in the same tank although being 300 gal this species also grows to a conciderable length of 5 ft so to do a tank with large numbers of zebras is a disaster waiting to happen.when concidering housing large species of eels .concider how much much space will be provided to each .personally if they are small then yes you can do a few of them but in time you will have to separate these ells in large indevidual tanks or upgrade conciderably to house them all.personally as a mature adult 1 per 300 gal tank is all i would do.info on zebra on link below
http://www.sheddaquarium.org/sea/fac...rint.cfm?id=88

wanabebell

Originally Posted by AW2x3
A 300 might sustain one for juvenile to sub-adult, but certainly not for life.
Not to be rude, or to start an arguement, but you've had yours for what?...a few months (6 months, at most), unleashed?...and it's only 30" or so? That's hardly an adult sized Tesselata. That's barely more than a baby.
You may say that they'll only reach 5' 10", but myself and countless others have seen Tess. that have been close to 10' in length. I've personally seen 20+ different specimens (in captivity and in the wild) that have been larger than 8'. You also say that it's very unlikely that they'll reach full adult length, in captivity...but, just like any other fish, if you provide enough space, feed right, etc. then it WILL reach adult length (alot bigger than 5' 10").
If you research and dont think you can properly house a Green Moray, then you cant properly house a Tesselata Moray.

Andy im in no way trying to start an arguement but when you go to the shed aquarium in chicago they have about 15 adault tess. (probally donated from people who actually found out the cant house one) and one full grown green
and the tess. come nowhere near the size of a green.
the tesses might be almost as long as a green but they certainly do not have the girth of a green

aw2x3

Originally Posted by wanabebell
Andy im in no way trying to start an arguement but when you go to the shed aquarium in chicago they have about 15 adault tess. (probally donated from people who actually found out the cant house one) and one full grown green
and the tess. come nowhere near the size of a green.
the tesses might be almost as long as a green but they certainly do not have the girth of a green

Actually, they have only one Tesselata Moray and it's housed in the exhibit next to the Wild Reef. It's housed with their male Hawaiian Dragon Moray, a Zebra and a few others.
As I already said...I'm not trying to argue or start a fight. I'm just saying that I know (along with others) that Tesselata Moray get larger than 6'(+/-). I find it very hard to believe that three different "experts", in 3 very different and far away countries, were called up, none knowing any of the others and they all quickly spouted out that the max size is 5' 10", to the inch.
I've swam/snorkeled/dived with Tess. and Greens that were 8' - 10', if they were an inch. Countless others have seen them larger. Just like with any other fish, whether it be a little Chromis or a Green Moray, if we give them the proper housing, they will reach lengths they do in the wild.

unleashed

ironic as it is yes they all spouted the same measurements to be 5 ft 10 to the inch..this is why i contacted 3 different experts in different parts of the world along with a photo of my eel to get a proper id and info for housing and feeding him.. 2 0f them being located off of fishindex. com

aw2x3

Sounds like an awesome tank, but let me warn you now, before you hate yourself later...
Dont get a 48" deep tank. You think you have a hard time cleaning a tank now, wait till you get one that's so deep you cant touch the bottom.
My 200gal. tank is 31" deep and it's the biggest pain in the arse, to clean. If I want something off the bottom of the tank, I have to take my shirt off and almost break out the mask and snorkel.
If I were you, I'd opt for 96 long, 48 wide and 24 or 30 deep.