Test kits and such

zman411

I have just the basic 20$ test kit for my reef
my friend comes over to my house with this "suitcase" test kit (homemade)
there where so many tests in there it wasn't even funny :(
and he made the suggestion that I get more tests to keep a better eye on my water
so my question to all of you is
What tests do you test for and I would like you to post pics of your test kits

robchuck

Dallas,
Can you expand upon why to "use anything but saifurt they suck alot" or "Salifert sucks"?

robchuck

I use Salifert for most of my tests and have used La Motte kits for Ca and Alkalinity. Both of these brands are superior to the Red Sea and FasTest I used to use due to their accuracy. The La Motte kits were not as impressive as I expected, so I returned to using Salifert tests for Ca and Alk.
I do agree that some of the Salifert kits are difficult to read (I have problems reading the nitrate kit results and the pH results; I have a pH monitor/controller on the way), but I would still like to know why you dislike them so much as to slander their product without giving a reason.

badkharma

Yes, I use salifert and Fastest. Red Sea's kit was awful, except for the Ph test, which was pretty accurate, which cannot be said for the rest of the kit. What kind of Ph moniter are you getting? That sounds like a good idea... :)
Yes, if you dislike a brand, you should at least state why, besides just "they suck".

dallas1432

the thing is this forum gets on my nerves sometimes it seem like every one is playing follow the leader no one is using their own brain. i guess if it is working for you go for it . all you guys know is whats in the box just look beyond that maybe some is alittle better it doesn't always need to easy or cheaper to work
but thats what it seems to me

robchuck

Chris,
I will be adding a Ca reactor to the tank I am setting up this summer, so I bought the pH controller in anticipation of the reactor. Plus, I was able to find a brand new Milwaukee controller for less than the Pinpoint monitor I almost bought.
Dallas,
I agree with you that there is a lot of follow the leader taking place on the board, but I still don't see how that plays a factor in determining the quality of a test kit.

bona42na

I use Salifert but I also find them difficult to read at times. I got a Fastest Ammonia test and like its method of measuring better but didnt get the same reading side by side with the Salifert. So Im not really sure that anyone including the LFS guys are getting accurate results. If that were the case then we would all be using the same kits as the LFS and its obvious we dont. I think the key is logging your result regularly and watching out for the changes . Peter

badkharma

Originally posted by Dallas1432
the thing is this forum gets on my nerves sometimes it seem like every one is playing follow the leader no one is using their own brain. i guess if it is working for you go for it . all you guys know is whats in the box just look beyond that maybe some is alittle better it doesn't always need to easy or cheaper to work
but thats what it seems to me

What test kit do you use? I'm not a complete salifert person, but I do use some of their tests. Like I said earlier, I also use Fastest and Red Sea (Red Sea only for Ph though).