Test Kits Question

shwstpr88

Hello I am just starting out with corals and I use the API test kits I have one for the fish and one is a master reef kit. The fish kit tests the basics amm, nitrite, nitrate and PH. THe reef kit tests Calcium, Hardness, and Phosphate. I keep reading now about magnesium, idone, etc. Why is this kit missing those things when its a "master reef kit" (I know advertising).
So what do I still need to test for? What do I need to keep on hand for dosing? All my test above come in great I do have suppliments for calcium but thats it. I add marine snow and zooplankton for feeding.
So if someone could give me a jump start or point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.
Thanks!

btldreef

Originally Posted by shwstpr88
http:///forum/post/3221272
Hello I am just starting out with corals and I use the API test kits I have one for the fish and one is a master reef kit. The fish kit tests the basics amm, nitrite, nitrate and PH. THe reef kit tests Calcium, Hardness, and Phosphate. I keep reading now about magnesium, idone, etc. Why is this kit missing those things when its a "master reef kit" (I know advertising).
Magnesium is a big one that the API kit is missing.

So what do I still need to test for? What do I need to keep on hand for dosing? All my test above come in great I do have suppliments for calcium but thats it. I add marine snow and zooplankton for feeding. Most reef tanks have to dose a two part of alkalinity buffer and calcium and sometimes magnesium as well. All depends on the tank and you'll need to test for whatever you're going to be dosing for.

So if someone could give me a jump start or point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by shwstpr88

http:///forum/post/3221577
Wow didnt think this would be such a rough question!

I think it just got buried in with other posts. Your answers are above in red.
Are you going to be starting a new tank, or converting a fish only tank to a reef? Is this a new or used tank? You may want to also test for copper. Copper can have devastating effects to reef tanks.
Along with a test kit, I highly recommend buying a refractometer.

geoj

This is Tests listed in order of importance IMO
0 Ammonia For the health of animals
0 Nitrite For the health of animals
73-80 Temp For the health of animals
1.023-1.026 Specific Gravity For the health of animals
8-10 kH For good coral growth
420-500 Calcium For good coral growth
8-8.4 pH For the health of animals
0 Nitrate To prevent nuisance algae growth
0 Phosphate To prevent nuisance algae growth
0 Silicate To prevent nuisance algae growth
1250-1350 Magnesium Test if Calcium will not rise
.05 Iodide For good coral growth

shwstpr88

This is great thanks guys! Yes is a FOWLR 125gal tank. My basic parameters are always great:
amm 0
Nitrite 0
PH 8.2
Nitrate <5
I have a refractometer currently at 1.024.
I use an RO/DI filter so hopfully most metals are filtered out.