Test Kits - Strips or Test Tubes?

jpc763

Hi,
I was buying my test kit last night and got the one with test tubes and drops. I noticed that there are also strips that you just dip in the water.
Well I figured that the tubes and drops are more accurate so I got that kit. So, the question is, are the strips accurate?
Thanks, J

mopar9012

People say the tubes are more accurate. Ive used the strips, its a lot easier. I dont use them anymore, i cant really say why? Maybe becuase i fear it telling me a lie and i dont want to lose any of my SPS.

autofreak44

having used both i would say go with the tubes... the strips arent accurate IMO
although it may be good to have both
might have to go pick some up
Dallas

srfisher17

I agree with all sides! I like seachem tests, they take longer than the test tube, or the dip strip. But I'll admit to using the dip strip in between my regular testing; and only when all looks well. As time goes on, I'll also admit that my regular testing has become less frequent. I rely on how my fish look ;but still do regular testing, just to be safe. In this hobby, laziness can lead to disaster. I guess this is a lot of babble; but if tubes and strips give you a similar result, and strips encourage you to test more often--then a combination would seem to be a good idea. Or am I just making this more complicated than it needs to be, something I tend to do?

autofreak44

Originally Posted by srfisher17
I agree with all sides! I like seachem tests, they take longer than the test tube, or the dip strip. But I'll admit to using the dip strip in between my regular testing; and only when all looks well. As time goes on, I'll also admit that my regular testing has become less frequent. I rely on how my fish look ;but still do regular testing, just to be safe. In this hobby, laziness can lead to disaster. I guess this is a lot of babble; but if tubes and strips give you a similar result, and strips encourage you to test more often--then a combination would seem to be a good idea. Or am I just making this more complicated than it needs to be, something I tend to do?
my thoughts exactly...

petjunkie

I used those 5in1 strips for a while then switched to red sea with the tubes and couldn't believe how far off they were, it always said I had 20 ppm nitrates so I was doing water changes constantly and then two liquid tests Sailfert and Red Sea both say 5ppm, it said my alk was low, it was actually high, it said my ph was 7.8m, actually 8.4. I just got a free bottle of ph strips and tried them out and gave them away after comparing results with liquid tests.

hatessushi

I only use the test strips occasionally for a ballpark reading. I have never had my pH off by mush in comparing the Sailfert, Red Sea and the test strips. I would be carefull if my pH got above 8.4, imo is the max and you stand the chance of precipition above that. Seawater runs from 7.6 in the open sea to 8.4 in the reef areas with the average actually being 7.8 but most keep there's at 8.1-8.2. The most important thing is stabiltiy. Using the test strip will usually alert me to test with the regular Salfert tests but I really would be careful using the test strip when there is high humidity. I live in Tucson, AZ so humidity is usually very low.