test kits

u mike

I am looking to get some new test kits,when i went to one store & asked where the dates where they said there are none.

btldreef

There absolutely are dates.
I'll tell you how to find the dates on the API kits and the Saliferts because that's what I have in front of me at the moment.
API:
Each bottle is printed with a Lot # right above the label. For example:
My High Range pH bottle is printed: LOT 27A1009
This means that it was made in 10/09. Which also means it's expired. I guess it's time to go look at the rest of my test kits. Great, see what you started! LOL
Salifert:
Each bottle that comes with the test kit will be printed with a batch number. For example:
My calcium kit bottle 3 (ca-3) is printed batch: 0410-A This means that it was made in 04/10.
The Ca-2 is batch 0310-E
and the Ca-1 is batch 0310-M
, which means they were made in 03/10. You want each bottle in the test kit to be similar in when they were made. A month won't make a difference, but more than that can.
There is also a way to tell on the SeaChem kits and the Elos kits, but I don't have them in front of me right now.
Also, Red Sea Pro Individual test kits (which I don't recommend) have a exp. date stamped into the cardboard box that they come in, usually with month and year.

monsinour

I thought test kits only lasted for a year. You state that your 10 of '09 pH bottle isnt expired? Is that a typo or something?

nikesb

For pH, i would just use a controller.
Hanna Meters has their small testers but you have to be accurate when you do it (using the same side of the glass). theres other steps too, but i will be purchasing the hanna meters for phosphates, nitrates, and dkH

btldreef

Hanna meters work well. For pH I have a PinPoint that hooks into my Reef Keeper controller. I've found most controllers/testers to be fairly close to manual test kits.

cam78

BTL, Why don't you like the Red Sea Pro test kits? I just got them and I don't think they are that bad. I was assuming they were the new best thing out there.

nikesb

alot of their test kits are pretty off in my experience. tried 3 different batches for calcium and they were all different while my salifert and api test kits were fairly close +/- 20 ppm.
tested 420 ppm on api and 400 on salifert, while the red sea was only reading 300

btldreef

Red Sea test kits are notorious for not being accurate. I own one Red Sea Pro Calcium kit that is accurate, but I, and many others, have had horrible experience with them.

chrisb430

My Red Sea pH test kit was so far off that i had to get rid of it. said my pH was at 8.8 the my test strips and API said 8.0. I am also in the market and doing research on test kits as well. Plus i have a hard time seeing colors...

2quills

Was just searching around and came across this so just thought I would share. I also use API for most of my testing.

Shelf Life of Aquarium Test Kits

by MudbugnLouisianna

How many of you have ever wondered how much time your test kits have left and what their shelf life is? If you are like me and you test your water parameters then you have probably wondered the answer to this question. To answer this question, I decided to e-mail three of the most well known companies for test kits and here are the responses. Keep in mind this may change at any time and I assume no responsibility for any of these products.
The first company is Aquarium Pharmaceuticals
:

/images/spacer.gif

Thank you very much for contacting us regarding our products. All of your comments and questions are valuable.
As for your first question I have to tell you that we do not know if changes will be made.

/images/spacer.gif

Test Solutions

Shelf Life from bottling date

/images/spacer.gif

pan class="medtext">Wide Range pH Test Solution

3 years

/images/spacer.gif

Ammonia Test Solution #1

3 years

/images/spacer.gif

Ammonia Test Solution #2

3 years

/images/spacer.gif

High Range pH Indicator Solution (m-Cresol Purple)

3 years

/images/spacer.gif

Nitrate Test Solution #1

3 years

/images/spacer.gif

Nitrate Test Solution #2

3 years

/images/spacer.gif

GH Test Solution

3 years

/images/spacer.gif

KH Test Solution

4 years

/images/spacer.gif

Nitrite Test Solution

4 years

/images/spacer.gifd>

Fresh Water Ammonia Test Solution (Nessler)

5 years

/images/spacer.gif

Fresh Water pH Indicator Solution

5 years

/images/spacer.gif

High Range pH Indicator Solution (Cresol Red)

5 years

/images/spacer.gif

Salt Level Test Solution #1

5 years

/images/spacer.gif

Salt Level Test Solution #2

5 years

/images/spacer.gif

To determine bottling date check the lot # on the reagent bottle. The last 4 digits are the month and year of bottling.
Example: 33A1201 would = a bottling date of December 2001.
If you have any more questions please contact me.
Karin Berke
Technical Services Representative
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals
800-847-0659

The second company is Hagen
:

All of our test kits have a shelf life of four years. Each package is /images/spacer.gifmarked with an expiration date. Please reply if you have any further questions.
Thank you,
Sharon Emond, Customer Service Dept.
Rolf C. Hagen (USA) Corp.

The third company is Tetra
:

/images/spacer.gif

The kits have a five-year shelf life. Once you open them you should discard them after a year. If you would like us to trouble shoot further please call 800-526-0650 option 1 M-F 8-5.
Regards,
Tetra Consumer Relations

monsinour

Thats shelf life. The one company that talked about usable life, time from opening to discarding, was Tetra. Would like to see what API says about how long you can use them once you open them.

gemmy

Also, I highly recommend checking the expiration dates of EVERY fish product that is purchased. Some fish stores just don't move many products very fast and by the time you purchase the product it is short dated. I have seen meds and fish foods being sold at my LFS that were outdated.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/384535/test-kits#post_3369367
Thats shelf life. The one company that talked about usable life, time from opening to discarding, was Tetra. Would like to see what API says about how long you can use them once you open them.
Well the liquid kits which tend to be cheaper from what I am reading have a shorter life span not quite as accurate as the more expensive dry reagents. From what you pointed out about the Tetra rep. mentioning that they should be disgaurded after a year from the time you've opened them, I think BTLDreef probably nailed it and I'm not sure if I would trust any of them after a year. I say if you still have open bottles after a year and still have shelf life then you're probably not testing enough anyway.