test kits

mauler

What brand of test kit is everyone using? Why did you pick that brand? What brands would you recommend and why? What brands wouldn't recommend and why?

snakeblitz33

I use API for ammonia nitrite and pH.

I use Seachem for calcium, alkalinity and magnesium.

If I had a choice is use a colorimeter/spectrophotometer for nitrate and phosphate, such as Hanna checkers.

Everything else I'd use either Salifert or Elos. But if your going to spend that kinda money you mise well send a water sample off to be tested.

Last edited:

1guydude

I use elos test for alk, cal, and mag. A bit complicated but best imo. I've only used them and Api. api imo is for n 00bs who wanna watch water chemistry/parameters like nitrite, nitrate, ph (acidic level) and ammonia of course. Basically water cleanliness. Alk cal and mag are important for stony coral.growth and ppl who are into the growing coral.stage of there hobby.
Hths
d

Edit: if I had a choice and all the $ I needed, I'd use probes to give real time #s.

silverado61

I use test strips only for a quick spot check for ammonia. For the most part I use seachem ammonia indicators that stay in the tank.
For regular testing I use seachem and salifert marine tests.
Eventually I'm going to upgrade to hanna checkers.

flower

Hi, I get master test kits, then only replace the test I'm out of, over the years I have used different ones. I used Redsea in the beginning, that's what the store carried, and I never had any trouble with it. However, I was told by everyone on this site the kits are not trustworthy, so I switched to API, which they all recommended back then...which now I have discovered are reading super high on nitrates, which caused me to seek yet a different brand.

I use ammonia test strips, I don't care about the brand...if I see any ammonia it means do a water change, the number does not matter. It's the only test strip I use. The ammonia tests for API, Redsea, Seachem etc...etc...etc...all have a wait time, strips are instant, and numbers don't matter..

The Master kit I liked best was Instant Ocean...it came with colored tiles that sits next to the test tube to be able to read the results, it was so easy to match up the color and read the results. All the other kits rely on a card that was printed out. The colors are so close when trying to read the results, and the cards color varies because it really all depends on the ink in the printer when the kit was packaged. Unfortunately, I was forced to change brands because the replacement packets were hard to find of, not even on-line, every place was out of it at the same time, so I had to purchase a different brand. Once I began using a different brand of master kit, the replacement tests had to be of the brand I had purchased, it's a vicious cycle.

So now I buy SeaChem... all the tests come with a regent to be able to double check it, to be sure that the readings are accurate.

Oh, and the replacement tests for Instant Ocean, I didn't have to buy the colored tiles or tubes again, just the tests crystal packets...

smfoister

I know this thread is a bit older, but just to throw another brand name out there. I have been using Hagen Master Kit for years and I have not had any issues with it.