test kits????

reefnut

I think the general consensus is that Salifert Kits are the best. I use them and they work great. Try the Dry Goods section of this site... best prices around!!

T

thomas712

Salifert is recommended.
In the begings of a tank you will want:
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate test kits
If a reef you will also want:
Calcium
Alkalinity
Magnesium (used only once a month, more if problmes maintaining).
After your tank matures you might not need the ammonia and nitrites very often if at all. Only when something strange happens or something dies in your tank will you need them again.
The calcium and alkalinity is a constant testing for me, once every few days or particulary before adding a new fish or before a water change and then again a day after a water change will I test for alk and cal.
Those are the main ones that I would recommend
Thomas

spsfreak100

If you're seeking even more accuracy than Salifert, you might want to look into LaMotte. They're often quite expensive, but are quite accurate!
But, as everyone above has said, Salifert is generally affordable and offers an accurate result :)
Graham

lionstorm

yeah get salifert don't get tetra, my test kits for nitrate are not accurate, i tested regular water and it still claims there were nitrates in it. In R/O water!!
Make sure you get a good test kit.

dzones

I agree...salifert is what I use now.
I originally had the RED SEA kit marine kit and it seemed ok but the nitrite test would never seem to give me a reading at all.

stumpdog

I did a poll on this a while back and Salifert was the overwhelming choice. They are what I use and I like them a lot.
HTH-
Jeremy

calvindo

yep... from what i've read... salifert is the best..... I went out and bought a kit for amonia, ph, nitrate and nitrite. Can some one tell me what other tests is needed?
thanks

E

elan

i use salifert for most except for alk and calcium. I use SeaChem for those. A bit more expensive, but it seams like the results are more accurate.