Test Results-need a bit of help ASAp

dv8

I have a 125 tank, about 6 months ola w/ 200lbs of LR and 6-8 varities or coral and 10 different fish. I can list them all if it helps the question.....
I began to notice a rust colored "alge" type in my LS and LR about 2 weeks ago. I looked it up and found that this was due to high calcium levels. I am in south Florida, so it took me a few days after that to get a water change done. This is because we are so close to the ocean here, we get it strait from the ocean, but hurricanes stired it all up.
Anyway it has been a week since the water change (about 40%) and my levels are still high.
Here are the results:
Ammonia 0.0
Calcium over 475
pH 8.1
Nitrate 4 mg/L
Phosphate .4
What can I do to lover these Calcium levels?
Besides tha rust color, what other side effects can I expect to see in the take from these calcium levels?
Also the Nitrates and Phospates are high, right? I am guessing this is why I have had a Hair algae problem. What can I do to lower those? I have been using one of those agents to take out phospates for about two weeks.
Thanks for the help

ithorian_r

yes the phosphate level is whats most likely causing the algae problem. ive never heard of calcium causing algae problems. make sure your water that you are using for water changes is RO/DI. if its not, most likely you are just adding more phosphates to your tank and it will be a losing battle....
as far as the calcium level, 475 isnt too bad. but if your calcium is too high, chances are your alk is too low. what is your alk level?

mudplayerx

The phosphate and nitrate is causing your algae problem. You probably have either cyanobacteria or slime algae....neither of which require any calcium to grow.
I don't think 475 calcium is a problem as long as it is relatively stable. What is your alkalinity?
Since you have phosphates, I'm guessing that you are using tap water in your tank. Like ithorian_r said, adding more phosphates into your tank will lead you to never getting rid of he algae.
ps- you might want to look into getting a sand-sifting sea cucumber or something similar to keep your sandbed churned around. They sell a variety of the sand-sifting sort here on this web site, as well as inexpensive sand-sifting crabs (which happen to be absolutely docile and peaceful).

birdy

most people strive to keep their calcium levels between 450-500.
Explain a bit more what the algae looks like and if you can take a picture that helps even more.
A lot of people think using water close to the shore is risky due to more contaminents. I believe the companies that sell natural sea water do filter it before they sell it.
Your nitrate and phosphate levels are not bad, but there is something that is feeding the algae in your water.
I have never heard of an algea that is caused by high Calcium, where did you read that?

dv8

It is not an alge, it is more of a rusty powder on all the LR and sand. It brushes off with a tooth brush. I would put up a picture, but I just brushed it off again. The LFS told me either I was feeding too much or it was calcium....I have ruled out he feeding problem.
Any solutions or should I do another H2O change?

I use only DI water for my top offs. I have some star fish and urchins that sift it up a little, but it comes back by the end of the day.
As far as the green hair algae, I just got new lights so I guess that could cause it....what are some solutions? I hand pick it every day, and as I said I have tried to lower the phosphates.
Thanks to all.

bwilson

Originally Posted by DV8
This is because we are so close to the ocean here, we get it strait from the ocean, but hurricanes stired it all up.

Are you taking your water from the ocean your self? Have you tested your water you are using? I buy my water from local LFS and found that the source of my water is usually my issue.
Any good LFS will let you test the water before you purchase it.
Thanks,
BW

mudplayerx

Dusty brown definately sounds like diatoms. These arise when you introduce silicates into the tank. Silicates usually come from adding tapwater or incorrect sand.

birdy

Do you make your own DI water? In any case test the TDS of any water you use to see if it is truly pure. and I would probably not use water from the ocean.
What are you doing to remove phosphates from the water? If you have hair algae then you may test 0 or close for phosphates because the algae is absorbing it all.

dv8

Originally Posted by Birdy
Do you make your own DI water? In any case test the TDS of any water you use to see if it is truly pure. and I would probably not use water from the ocean.
What are you doing to remove phosphates from the water? If you have hair algae then you may test 0 or close for phosphates because the algae is absorbing it all.
I do not make my own DI water, I by it from LFS. Also when I do water changes, the gentleman that does them tests the water.
I am using PhosoGuard for the phosphates and have been for two weeks or so.
I have about 50blue leg crabs, 5 urichins (misc types) and 40 turbo snails. What should I add to get rid of the diatoms and green hair algae?

birdy

Well the first thing I would do is get a TDS meter and check your DI water, many many LFS do not do a good job at replacing the filters in the RO/DI units and their water is just as bad or worse than tap.
I would double check that first, I would also make my own saltwater and not use stuff from the ocean.
I have used phosguard before and it works well, be sure to only leave it in for about 24hrs.
Your cleanup crew sound pretty good, (what size tank?).
Diatoms typicall go away when the supply of silica is out of the tank, Hair algae is not as easy to get rid of. Best way IMO to get rid of hair algea is to take each piece of rock out of the tank and scrub it with a stiff toothbrush and rinse in saltwater.
I highly suggest you get your own RO/DI unit and your own test kits.