test results on my h2O

arn

hi, i have a tank that has been running for about a month now....insid emy tank are just live rocks and 2 snails...... I did some tests on my water yesterday and it came out as follows:
NO3 = 2.5 (low range)
PH = 8.4
NO2 = 0
Ammonia = 0
Alkalinity = Normal
Now, I just purchased one of sw.com's reef packages. My question is....when can I put fish inside my tank? and also how many fish can I put?

fshhub

well, to start i would normally say one maybe 2 depending on the fish and tank size
HOW big is your tank?

arn

my tank has been running for a month already and brown algaes have formed on my live rocks. I've been told that its almost the end of the cycle already. My tank is 60g..........Anyway, how do I really know if my tank has already cycled?

dad

I will let fshhub answer the cycle part.
Sorry I jumped in.
I think the average rule of fish is 2" per 10 gallons.
Start off very slow though. It also takes alot of resurch to find what can be held together.
Took me months, ;)

arn

2" per 10 gallons. Is that the limit I can put for the rest of my tank life? Or i can add more in the fututre?

dad

This is not set in stone but a general rule.
It really gives you an idea of what you should shoot for and not go over.
Maybe more will give advice on this but I think I am correct on the 2" rule.

fshhub

You can answr that, you'vbe been at it for a while now.
anyhow, testing is the only way to tell if you have cycled
your ammonia will spike and fall then your nitrites then your nitrates will go up
afteer the nitrite and ammonia are zero and stay there for 2 weeks, do a water change and add fish(slowly wiating a minimum of 2 weeks between additions, I prefer 4 while testin to make sure it stays stable)
as for the stocking, 1 inch per 5 gallons is the general rule, but it oftencan be exceeded SOME depending on you exact tank. YOU need to figure the ADULT size of the fish not the size you purchase. The actual best guide to follow is your water, it will tell you if it can handle more or should be cut back on(at that point, you will have an idea what it wants and can do)
BUT TO START, I would stick fairly close to that guide line. I do realize ti seems like almost nothing, but it is not and proper care and stocking make this much more enjoyable of a hobby than any amount of fishes can.

fshhub

how much lr and was it cured and how did you get it, lfs or mail order ?
what about live sand?
it is hard to say if you have cycled or not by now, it is possible
the best way is to test daily and again, the water will tell you(but you have already passed the point where testing now will not tell you, unless it is just starting)

dad

LMAO, But you do it so well, ;)
Thanks, BTW, did or could you look at my question? Sorta lost here.

arn

i got some live rocks from lf and some from an old tank that was already running. The owner sold his set up and I got the rocks. All the rocks had purple corraline algaes when i got them. The sand i got it from lfs. Its one of those commercially prepared sand for reeftanks.

fshhub

very well could have cycled then
what I would do is add one fish and see how it goes for a week or 2 and test your water until you are satisfied, IF it has not yet cycled, then you will start cycling soona fter adding fish(my guess is it probably has already cycled)