Test Sump Build

S

swfishguy

Hello. I just recently have gotten into the saltwater aquarium hobby. I spent a fortune lately on my setup so far so instead of dishing out more cash for the setup, I am deciding on making my own sump to cut costs. Basically, I have several 10 gallon tanks around and will just use them to make a sump. My SW tank is currently a 55gallon tank; so I will make a 20 gallon sump (2 10 gallons together). Please tell me what you think about my design and what I can do to improve it. Here is a diagram that I have put together below in paint:

A

alanjess

The only thing I would caution you about is the fact that the 10 gal tanks can have very suspect bottoms if you have a heavy return pump, etc... I started my sump system up last winter and everything was working perfectly for a grand total of 10 mins, when the bottom of my 10 gal sump broke and I had a nice disaster on my hands...
Sorry about the "debbie downer" post, but it's always good to have as much info as possible when making these decisions! :)

acrylic51

I see a problem with the design.....Relying on the skimmer to pump/transfer water quickly enough from 1 tank to another is asking for issues.....

reefkprz

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/393078/test-sump-build#post_3494086
I see a problem with the design.....Relying on the skimmer to pump/transfer water quickly enough from 1 tank to another is asking for issues.....
for sure either the skimmer will pump water too fast or to slow you will never get it dialed to the exact speed of your return pump and you will have problems. your best bet is to drill the tanks and connect them directly that way it doesnt matter if the skimmer is faster or slower.

S

swfishguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanJess http:///t/393078/test-sump-build#post_3494085
The only thing I would caution you about is the fact that the 10 gal tanks can have very suspect bottoms if you have a heavy return pump, etc... I started my sump system up last winter and everything was working perfectly for a grand total of 10 mins, when the bottom of my 10 gal sump broke and I had a nice disaster on my hands...
Sorry about the "debbie downer" post, but it's always good to have as much info as possible when making these decisions! :)
I have tested those 10 gallons. They are sturdy enough. I have had cobble stones in them which are way heavier than my protein skimmer and I will place my protein skimmer on egg crate so I can raise it a little and that will also distribute the weight
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/393078/test-sump-build#post_3494086
That's true but when i was testing the protein skimmer pump transfer, it was pretty up to speed with my return. The only issue I didn't consider is if it gets clogged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///t/393078/test-sump-build#post_3494087
for sure either the skimmer will pump water too fast or to slow you will never get it dialed to the exact speed of your return pump and you will have problems. your best bet is to drill the tanks and connect them directly that way it doesnt matter if the skimmer is faster or slower.
My skimmer is pretty straightforward in speed. My return pump is adjustable plus I can fit it with a flow valve to to regulate it further. I think I will just go a head and drill it but not at the bottom. It will be about 5 inches from the top so that the water can flow over some filter media a second time to further clean it.

novahobbies

If you drill the tanks, it will probably work, but consider this: An aquarium is only as good as it's cheapest part.
And no, I'm not talking about money, but quality. You said you've spent a decent sum on your tank so far. OK, we've all been there...especially when funds are starting to run low!
Instead of jury-rigging a couple 10g tanks, have you considered buying a 20g long and building a sump from that? You'll only be spending 20-30 bucks for the new 20g tank....the baffles, etc were already factored into your list....and you could keep the 10g tanks in the garage/attic/storage for those times when you may need a QT or hospital tank.
Of course, your mileage may vary, but this is just advice from a guy who has been in your shoes. A small extra investment now may save you a lot of headache in the future.

S

swfishguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/393078/test-sump-build#post_3494129
If you drill the tanks, it will probably work, but consider this: An aquarium is only as good as it's cheapest part.
And no, I'm not talking about money, but quality. You said you've spent a decent sum on your tank so far. OK, we've all been there...especially when funds are starting to run low!
Instead of jury-rigging a couple 10g tanks, have you considered buying a 20g long and building a sump from that? You'll only be spending 20-30 bucks for the new 20g tank....the baffles, etc were already factored into your list....and you could keep the 10g tanks in the garage/attic/storage for those times when you may need a QT or hospital tank.
Of course, your mileage may vary, but this is just advice from a guy who has been in your shoes. A small extra investment now may save you a lot of headache in the future.
I considered that. That was my first idea to use. Unfortunately, the space under my stand is too narrow for the dimensions of a 20 gallon tank. Also, 20 gallon tanks in my area are about $50+ each because they are the starter kit and I am not going to buy that just so I can get the 20 gallon. Buying online would come out more as well due to shipping. so I will plumb it. Also, I have like 4 10gallon tanks. 3 were unused so the tanks are still and great condition so it won't hinder with the integrity of the whole system as well I can become pretty profession when crafting DIY projects and thanks for the reply.

acrylic51

ours, 4 minutes ago

SWfishguy
g/badges/badge_yellowtang.v1305918900.png" style="margin-top: 4px; " />
[*]
[*]

• 4 Posts. Joined Today at 1:42 am
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanJess
I have tested those 10 gallons. They are sturdy enough. I have had cobble stones in them which are way heavier than my protein skimmer and I will place my protein skimmer on egg crate so I can raise it a little and that will also distribute the weight
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51

That's true but when i was testing the protein skimmer pump transfer, it was pretty up to speed with my return. The only issue I didn't consider is if it gets clogged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefkprZ
My skimmer is pretty straightforward in speed. My return pump is adjustable plus I can fit it with a flow valve to to regulate it further. I think I will just go a head and drill it but not at the bottom. It will be about 5 inches from the top so that the water can flow over some filter media a second time to further clean it.
That's what I should have explained with my reasoning, but was assuming it would be understood.....It's always been a no no IMHO to try to "time" 2 pumps to flow the exact same......It's just to many variables, and even identical make/model pumps won't necessarily flow the same.......Any all it would take would be 1 of them becoming a bit fouled to create issues......You best bet would be to drill the tanks and use uniseals to join the tanks together......