Test Test

andrewt

Hey, I have some questions.
1. What Kind of test do you do. I do phospate test, calcium test, and nitrate test. Any other tests should I do and what are their benifit.
2. If some tests does not meet the requirement, for instant, if Ph is to high, what are the solution to keep your tank safe so inverts,corals, and fish don't die that fast?

dacia

1. pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, calcium, alkalinity, phosphate, possibly some trace element tests such as copper
2. If something is wrong, I recommend immediate water changes with proper salt solution. It has always helped me out, even if freshwater tanks!

andrewt

Thanks. and btw. what kind of test do you recommend that is fast and efficient? are those test tips that you dip into water good?

dacia

I like the Salifert tests that they sell on this website. They are fast and accurate. I don't have much experience with the dip tests.

T

tizzo

I think magnesium is a good one to have on hand too. But if your results are outa whack, you need to find out the cause. For example if you have a fish rotting away behind the rockwork, that would cause your ammonia to spike and ph to drop. A water change will be necessary, but you want to ask "why" your test results are undesirable. HTH

fulofcharm

i use tetra testers!! i have one for ammonia,nitrate,nitrite. and of course i have a test container for my salt level!! the dip strips are junk!! just my opinion!!! :thinking:

B

big911dog

i agree. i've found dip strips unreliable.
Answering #2 (because everyone hit #1):
Dilution is the solution to pollution. WATER CHANGES! hth