tested mag: 1500 reading with SERA test kit

goinbroke

finally got around to buying and testing for Mg in my DT. bought a sera test kit. should have took chemtery in high school!
i did a i5 gallon waterchange today using oceanic salt and R/O Ca was 400, Kh was 6*
i tested Mg about 3 hours after the change. dosed using kent reef builder to bring up the Kh
Mg tested 1500! i did the test twice!
is this a reading i should be concerned about? what is the target Mg i should shoot for? thanks.....

stanlalee

you should be thankful whatever batch of salt or additives you are using is at that level. you should target between 1300-1500ppm but I have seen nor heard any negative results from keeping it on the high side. I know there are SPS reefers that keep theirs at 1500.

goinbroke

well i guess thats good news.....
i'm gonna test again today. the sera mg test is a 5 part system. the instructions are very complicated.. the part i'm questioning is the amount of water to be tested. is states to fill the included syrange to the 2mil line and empty it in the glass vial. well, wehn i put 2mil in from the syrange it goes over the 2 mil line on the glass beaker! do i trust the syrange or the beaker. the diffrance amount is quite a bit and would affaec the results of the test probally by alot!
anyone use this test kit and what do you do?